Police lost ‘crucial’ CCTV footage of brawl at Hampstead Heath Lido

06:00 07 February 2013

Police close Hampstead Heath Lido after double stabbing Photo by Neil Barker

Police close Hampstead Heath Lido after double stabbing Photo by Neil Barker

Archant

A university student has been cleared of inciting a brawl which caused mass panic at the lido on Hampstead Heath – after police lost “crucial” CCTV footage of the melee.

Two men were stabbed during the fight and bystanders were knocked to the ground as the brawl raged the length of the 60-metre pool on a sweltering summer’s day last year, a court heard.

Parents among the 1,000 bathers had to pluck their children from the Parliament Hill Lido as they tried to flee what one witness described as a “riot” involving up to 20 young black men.

Lifeguard Greg Stechman, who tried to break up the fracas, said: “There was panic with people running backwards and forwards to get their children out of the pool. People were getting knocked out of the way.”

Last Thursday, police were forced to admit in court that they had lost important CCTV footage of the incident.

Det Con Roger Powell, the officer in the case, told the court: “I went to the scene on the day of the fight, viewed the CCTV and asked for it to be downloaded.

“It was downloaded, but the bit involving the fight was not downloaded.”

Defence counsel Patrick Harte said: “This crucial bit of CCTV never made its way into this case.”

Police said the CCTV footage was viewed by officers at the scene and claim it was “unlikely to have altered the outcome of the case”.

A spokeswoman said: “Officers who had previously viewed the footage in full confirmed that although the missing section showed a disturbance it did not clarify what happened or who was involved.

“Therefore, it is unlikely that it would have altered the outcome of the case.”

Suma Brown, who had gone to the outdoor pool with friends on July 24 last year, was accused of one count of affray.

Appearing at Blackfriars Crown Court, he admitted throwing up to three punches in self-defence. The 20-year-old said he had become embroiled in the fight to help his friend, who had been set upon by a gang of up to six men at around 5pm.

Mr Brown, who is studying business management at the University of East London, said: “I punched him because he was about to hit my friend, so I was defending my friend.”

In a police interview last year Mr Brown, from Bourne Terrace in Little Venice, told detectives he had not known his assailants and the attack appeared to be random.

One of his friends had been stabbed in the abdomen and another man was stabbed in the buttocks during the attack.

Jurors found Mr Brown not guilty of affray.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Simpson-Kent was captured in Ghana after fleeing the UK following the death of his partner Sian Blake and their two children (Photo: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire)

Sian Blake’s partner has been charged with the murders of the ex-EastEnders actress and their two children, police have said.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Police are keen to identify this man (Photo: Metropolitan Police)

Police are asking south London women to be vigilant if travelling alone and on foot in the early hours, after three women were attacked within four miles of each other.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police are investigating attempted child abductions

A man has been charged after reports that a number of schoolchildren were approached by someone impersonating a police officer in Hornsey.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police would like to speak with this man (Picture: Metropolitan Police)

A 27-year-old man was punched in the face and pummelled as he lay on the ground in a sustained and unprovoked attack at a Bloomsbury bus stop.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
The two men police want to identify

A horrifying attack in Shoreditch has left a man with a fractured skull after he was beaten with wooden stakes.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport