Police renew appeal after 19-year-old fatally shot in Battersea

Picture: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

Picture: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

Detectives are continuing to appeal for witnesses following the fatal shooting of a 19-year-old man in south London on Wednesday.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police Service said officers were called to reports of an injured man in Coppock Close, Battersea, at around 7.50pm.

He said paramedics attended but the man, named by police as Kyle McDonald, was pronounced dead at the scene at around 8.15pm.

“A post-mortem examination held at St George’s Hospital today (Friday, September 20) gave the cause of death as a single gunshot wound,” the spokesman added.

“We are not discussing further.”

He confirmed Kyle’s next of kin have been informed.

Detectives said they retain an open mind regarding the circumstances of the incident and any motive at this early stage.

They believe Kyle may have sustained his injuries in Musjid Road, from where he staggered into Fawcett Close, finally collapsing in Coppock Close.

An incident room has opened under Detective Chief Inspector Matt Bonner of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, but so far no arrests have been made.

DCI Bonner said: “We are still in the early stages of the investigation and are carrying out a number of enquires into the circumstances of this incident.

“I am keen to establish if there was anyone in the area who saw or heard anything suspicious.

“I’m appealing for anyone who has any information no matter how small to please come forward and help us with our inquiry.”

Acting Borough Commander Paul McGregor said: “We would like to reassure our community that the police are working very hard to find out who is responsible.

“Detectives have launched a murder investigation and are appealing for witnesses following the incident in Battersea and extra police officers are out patrolling local areas.”

Anyone who witnessed the incident or has information that may assist police is asked to contact detectives on 020 8358 0200 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, May 1, 2015
Benson Igbokwe. Pic: Met Police

A man has been jailed after he held a gun at point-blank range at a manager of a Knightsbridge boutique store in an attempted kidnap.

Friday, May 1, 2015
Gulam Chowdhury has been sentenced to life in jail

The man who killed his love rival by stabbing him 20 times with a large kitchen knife has been sentenced to life behind bars.

Friday, May 1, 2015
Police have released an image of a man who allegedly exposed himself to a teenager in a Burger King restaurant.

Police have released an image of a man who allegedly exposed himself to a 16-year-old girl in a Burger King restaurant in west London.

Friday, May 1, 2015
Nur Nordin owned some of the most extreme child pornography police had ever seen - and a life-siized mannequin of a little boy [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

An international student at Imperial College London has been jailed for possessing “some of the most extreme images that have ever been seen” by child sex abuse officers.

Thursday, April 30, 2015
Police would like to speak to these men in connection with the attack [Photo by British Transport Police]

CCTV pictures of four men believed to have violently attacked a 30-year-old man with bits of wood at Forest Gate station have been released.

Thursday, April 30, 2015
Police believe the gun may have been owned by a gang member [Photo by Metropolitan Police]

An Uzi sub-machine gun has been found by police in a cemetery off Mitcham Road in Croydon, Scotland Yard said.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Pop on the most stylish eyewear around from Specsavers.

London eyecare specialists Specsavers are offering London24 readers the chance to win a £150 voucher to spend on stylish eyewear in the city.

Read more
A swastika daubed on a poster promoting Simon Marcus.

Conservatives in Hampstead and Kilburn are calling in the police over anti-Semitic graffiti found daubed on posters promoting parliamentary candidate Simon Marcus in Queen’s Park.