‘Press leak’ detective feared for her unit’s resources, court hears

13:30 08 January 2013

Chief Insp April Casburn, 53, is on trial at Southwark Crown Court. Picture: Sean Dempsey/PA Wire

Chief Insp April Casburn, 53, is on trial at Southwark Crown Court. Picture: Sean Dempsey/PA Wire

A senior Metropolitan Police detective accused of offering information to the News of the World made a “foolish decision” to contact the newspaper, a court heard today.

Detective Chief Inspector April Casburn also had fears for the resources of her counter-terrorism unit.

The 53-year-old was concerned about the impending anniversary of the September 11 attacks, and a member of her team had been asked to help on an inquiry into phone hacking, jurors at Southwark Crown Court heard.

In a statement to police, she said that she feared that the additional work would lead to increased pressure on the unit’s resources, which were “already stretched”.

At the time she was going through “an exceptionally difficult divorce”, two egg donations had failed and she was beginning the adoption process.

Casburn, said in her statement: “I made a foolish decision to call the News of the World.”

She admits calling the now closed tabloid on September 11, 2010, but denies asking for money or offering any information that was not already in the public domain.

Earlier, Detective Chief Superintendent Dean Haydon, who was leading the investigation into fresh allegations of phone hacking in September 2010, said there was a great deal of media and political interest in the case.

He said: “The important thing for me leading this investigation with all this speculation in the media was that I wanted to be in the driving seat for what we did and how we did it and when we did it.”

Casburn, from Hatfield Peverel, is accused of one count of misconduct in public office in September 2010, when she was managing the National Terrorist Financial Investigation Unit.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Tuesday, March 31, 2015
Pictured: not the perfect crime [Photograph by Flixtey/Wikimedia Commons]

An Ilford man has escaped jail after he tried to rob a bookmakers with a tin of fish.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015
Chun Man Ho has now been convicted of six different sex offences [Photograph from British Transport Police]

An Edgware man has been jailed after he molested a 15-year-old boy on a crowded District Line train.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015
British Transport Police would like to speak to woman pictured (Pic: Youtube/Channel Mix)

A woman has been secretly filmed hurling abuse at fellow commuters on the district line.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015
The Homocide and Major Crime Command unit are investigating

A murder investigation has been launched after a woman’s body was found in a flat in Romily Court off Landridge Road.

Monday, March 30, 2015
The hunt is on to find the three knifemen

A cyclist was the victim of a horrific unprovoked attack when he was stabbed five times by a trio of thugs - but still managed to get back on his bike and keep riding.

Monday, March 30, 2015
British Transport Police would like to speak to this woman pictured in the station on CCTV (Pic: British Transport Police)

Police are appealing for information after a deaf homeless woman was physically assaulted at Wanstead tube station over the weekend.

Breaking News

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Four fire engines are tackling an underground blaze in Holborn this afternoon.

Read more

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Munch on a tasy three course dinner at The Refinery!

“Where to go for a drink near Great Portland Street?” was previously met with blank expressions and shrugs for those local to the area, not anymore, thanks to the opening of The Refinery at Regent’s Place, the eighth bar and restaurant from hugely-successful group Drake & Morgan.

Read more