Protester sues Met over Palestine demo ‘kettle’

17:49 24 July 2013

Joseph Wright is suing the Met for £25,000. Picture: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

Joseph Wright is suing the Met for £25,000. Picture: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

A man who was “kettled” during a protest two years ago is suing the Metropolitan Police for thousands of pounds, claiming that his human rights were breached.

Joseph Wright, who is also known as Matthew Richardson, was contained in a pen outside Chatham House in St James’s Square, central London, where the Israeli President, Shimon Peres, was due to give a speech in March 2011.

Mr Wright alleges that he was falsely imprisoned for one hour and 50 minutes, subjected to assault and battery when forcibly moved into the pen, and that his human rights were breached. He is claiming up to £25,000 in damages from the Met.

His counsel, Hugh Southey QC, told Mr Justice Jay at the High Court that the case was important because of its implications for freedom of protest: “This was essentially a peaceful protest and the conduct of the defendant, if lawful, would have a chilling effect.”

The court will have to consider whether there were reasonable grounds to think a breach of the peace was imminent so as to justify containment.

Mr Wright, 26, of County Street, Southwark, was one of about 40 protesters holding placards and chanting at the demonstration organised by the Palestine Solidarity Campaign to express opposition to the Israeli government’s policies.

He says he was told by an officer to move into the pen so as to prevent a breach of the peace, but that there was no justification for this as the protest was entirely peaceful and not going to cause an obstruction.

The contested hearing in London is due to last three days.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Monday, March 30, 2015
British Transport Police would like to speak to this woman pictured in the station on CCTV (Pic: British Transport Police)

Police are appealing for information after a deaf homeless woman was physically assaulted at Wanstead tube station over the weekend.

Monday, March 30, 2015
Black cab David Perry, 'abused position of trust' when preying on sleeping  passengers

Police fears pervert may have preyed on more victims during 25-year cabbie career

Monday, March 30, 2015
Police believe the attack took place behind the Surbiton KFC, on the Electric Parade (Pic: Google Maps)

Police are appealing for information after two men were seriously injured near a KFC in Surbiton.

Sunday, March 29, 2015
The incident took place on this street in Newham [Image from Google StreetView]

A man in his twenties has been charged with murder after a man died at a house at East Ham on Saturday night.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

Friday, March 27, 2015

We previously ran an appeal asking the public to report any sightings of Joshua Packman, a young man who was receiving treatment at a mental health unit in Enfield.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...