May 23 2013 Latest news:
Sukran Sahin, Senior Reporter
Thursday, April 26, 2012
A 14-year-old pupil was attacked with a metal pole during a scuffle on a youth bus after school.
The bus, a mobile facility for young people, was stationed outside Heath Park Hall in Rusholme Avenue, Dagenham last Tuesday when the incident happened at 4.45pm.
The teenager was taken to hospital after suffering a one inch cut to his head, though it was not considered life threatening.
Police confirmed a 13-year-old boy was arrested at the scene and was released on bail pending further enquiries.
A police spokeswoman said: “Police found a 14-year-old schoolboy with a head wound thought to have been caused by a blow to the head from a small metal pole.”
A spokesman for Barking and Dagenham Council, which operates the youth bus – which is permanently supervised – said security measures would be heightened in the wake of the incident.
He added: “Links with Safer Neighbourhood Teams in which the bus makes its stops are to be strengthened.
“The victim has been visited at home and offered counselling.”
The Streetbase Youth Bus, introduced last year, travels to hard to reach areas offering activities for young people.