Restaurateur wins legal battle over outside seating area

16:02 17 January 2013

File picture: PA

File picture: PA

PA Wire/Press Association Images

A Westminster restaurant owner has won a court battle with the council over the right to place tables and chairs on the pavement outside his premises.

In a test case that could affect other restaurants and cafes, a High Court judge today ruled it was lawful to have seating outside the Demartino Italian restaurant in the West End.

Judge Thornton QC rejected claims by Westminster City Council that restaurateur Julian Cordani was not entitled to a Certificate of Lawful Existing Use or Development.

Mr Cordani said that he had had seats and tables on the pavement outside the Great Portland Street premises for more than 20 years and thus acquired the legal right to go on doing so.

Westminster’s lawyers argued that the nightly and seasonal removal of the chairs and tables meant there was a failure to establish “continuous” use for the minimum 10 years necessary to gain immunity from planning control.

A Government planning inspector rejected all Westminster’s arguments as “not well founded” and ruled continuous use of the 1.5m by 3.25m area of land outside the restaurant had been established.

Westminster asked London’s High Court to quash the inspector’s decision, but Judge Thornton ruled the inspector had made no errors of law and the use of the tables and chairs was properly certified as lawful.

Today’s ruling prevents the council taking enforcement action.

Westminster’s deputy leader, Cllr Robert Davis said: “We have no issue with people dining on tables and chairs outside and this case was never about that.

“We are just trying to ensure that the council can carry out its core duties such as street cleaning, gritting and carrying out road maintenance.

“We are disappointed with the decision and are currently reviewing our options.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Sunday, March 29, 2015
The incident took place on this street in Newham [Image from Google StreetView]

A man in his twenties has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a man died in East Ham on Saturday night.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

Friday, March 27, 2015

We previously ran an appeal asking the public to report any sightings of Joshua Packman, a young man who was receiving treatment at a mental health unit in Enfield.

Friday, March 27, 2015
McDonagh has been jailed for four years [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A conman has been jailed for locking a 90-year-old man in his basement in order to burgle his Fulham home.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Do you know this man? [Photograph from British Transport Police]

Police are hunting a thug who attacked a 17-year-old boy with half a brick on a train journey from Crystal Palace to East Dulwich - then snatched a man’s phone in West Norwood station.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Mohammed Yasser Afzal

The man accused of murdering a minicab controller admitted in a typed letter found in his pocket that he killed him “because of his own crazy feelings”, a court heard today.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...