Rolf Harris re-arrested in Met Savile investigation
17:22 05 August 2013
Veteran entertainer Rolf Harris was re-arrested today by the Metropolitan Police following further allegations of sexual offences.
The 83-year-old from Bray in Berkshire answered police bail today and was told that he faces additional claims.
He was arrested in March by detectives from Operation Yewtree, the national investigation launched in the wake of abuse claims made against disgraced television presenter Jimmy Savile.
Harris had previously been interviewed under caution on November 29 last year, five days after a search warrant was executed at his home.
He was only publicly named as a Yewtree suspect in April, when the Sun newspaper became the first media outlet to identify him in connection with the investigation.
Scotland Yard did not name Harris, but released a statement which said a man had been “ further arrested on suspicion of sexual offences in connection with further allegations made to Operation Yewtree”.
He has been released on bail to a date later in August.
The inquiry has been run in three strands - claims involving Savile, those involving Savile and others, and those involving others.
Harris is being dealt with under the “others” strand, meaning the allegations have no link to shamed DJ Savile.