Runaway Tube train could have caused ‘terrible tragedy’

17:25 28 February 2013

File picture: PA

File picture: PA

PA Wire/Press Association Images

London Underground and two associated firms have been fined after a Tube train hurtled through seven stations on the Northern Line before it was stopped.

The incident, which took place on August 13 2010, started when the 39-tonne maintenance wagon rolled downhill at 30mph without brakes from Highgate and into central London.

A train in front of it was told to keep going and not stop, while its passengers were told to run to the front carriages, the Old Bailey heard.

London Underground, Tube Lines Ltd and Schweerbau GMBH pleaded guilty to endangering passengers and staff under Health and Safety law.

They were each fined £100,000.

Judge Richard Hone said: “There was the potential of terrible tragedy.”

He said the runaway train was out of control for four miles during 16 minutes.

“To those involved it must have seemed an extremely frightening eternity,” he added.

The court was told that a fault had now been remedied and the incident was extremely unlikely to occur again.

Prosecutor Jonathan Ashley-Norman told the court that the rail grinding unit was being towed when it broke away during the early morning.

It started rolling downhill without brakes from Highgate and into central London in August, 2010.

“It could have led to tragedy but thanks to the immediate actions of LU staff, no one was hurt,” said Mr Ashley-Norman.

Control staff watched helplessly as they saw the flashing lights of both vehicles turn into one as the grinder got within 600 metres of the train.

Mr Ashley-Norman said attempts were made to slow the runaway train down using points at Camden Town and Mornington Crescent, and the trains were diverted onto different lines.

It eventually stopped at Warren Street when it reached an upward incline.

“In the event, and fortunately, no one was harmed,” added Mr Ashley-Norman.

Keith Morton, QC, for the Tube companies, said: “London Underground is one of the safest railways in the world - if not the safest.”

Speaking afterwards, London Underground director Mike Strzelecki said: “This was clearly a serious incident and LU and Tube Lines acted quickly to investigate its causes and take action to ensure that the risk of such a rare incident recurring was minimised.

“Following the incident LU immediately put in place procedures to remove the engineering train and tow-bar from use on the railway.

“Since then LU and Tube Lines have put in place even tighter approvals and controls for the design and use of all such equipment.””

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Mr Packman went missing from the Dennis Scott Unit of Edgware Community Hospital in 2012 [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A young man who was receiving treatment at a mental health unit in Enfield has absconded, and police have warned the public not to approach Joshua Packman if they see him.

Friday, March 27, 2015
McDonagh has been jailed for four years [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A conman has been jailed for locking a 90-year-old man in his basement in order to burgle his Fulham home.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Do you know this man? [Photograph from British Transport Police]

Police are hunting a thug who attacked a 17-year-old boy with half a brick on a train journey from Crystal Palace to East Dulwich - then snatched a man’s phone in West Norwood station.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Mohammed Yasser Afzal

The man accused of murdering a minicab controller admitted in a typed letter found in his pocket that he killed him “because of his own crazy feelings”, a court heard today.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Demetris Costa Hapeshi used the University's database to get a student's phone number  [Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images]

A lecturer who discussed sex toys with his students - and even kissed one of them - is fit to carry on working, a tribunal has ruled.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...