Ruthless bank cashier stole thousands from Wood Green pensioner

13:23 07 June 2012

The Wood Green bank cashier stole thousands from the pensioner

The Wood Green bank cashier stole thousands from the pensioner

PA Wire/Press Association Images

A bank cashier who ruthlessly preyed on a Wood Green pensioner’s fragile mental condition to steal more than £42,000 from his account has been jailed for three years.

Christopher Lewis stole thousands of pounds from Dr Richard Chenley over the course of 18 months, confident the former teacher would not notice because of his health difficulties.

At this time, Dr Chenley had stopped shaving, his hair was unkempt and he only left his house Braemar Avenue once a week to go to the supermarket after he became the victim of a previous con.

Dr Chenley, then 83, would also withdraw small sums from the Barclays Bank, Wood Green, where 21-year-old Lewis worked as a cashier - enabling him to take the money from the keen amateur pianist’s account.

The theft was only discovered when, in 2010, Dr Chenley became so confused and rambling that a solicitor had to take charge of his affairs who found a total of £42,645 had been taken out of the account.

Investigators then discovered £15,000 had been transferred into the accounts of Lewis’s childhood friend Valdevane Da Silva Junior, 22, Culross Close, Tottenham.

Lewis, of Cheshire Road, Wood Green, initially told police he had not stolen any money and blamed “carelessness” but later admitted theft in court.

Lewis’ barrister Emma Rance told the Old Bailey he had taken to money to help out his father’s failing business.

“It was not out of greed but desperation on his part,” she said. “He fully accepts he took advantage of his position as a cashier at Barclays.”

Lewis - who now works as a kitchen salesman - told Ms Rance he had elderly relatives himself and could not believe he “behaved in this way”.

IT technician Da Silva Junior - who was convicted by jury of acquiring criminal property - was paid small amounts of money to launder the cash but said he helped his friend out because of a sense of “misguided loyalty”.

Judge Michael Hunter jailed Lewis for three years and Da Silva Junior for nine months.

He told Lewis: “This really was a very nasty offence indeed.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Monday, April 27, 2015
Police want to know who these two men are [Photographs from Metropolitan Police]

Police are looking for two witnesses to a vicious assault that took place in Camden Lock and left the victim needing hospital treatment.

Monday, April 27, 2015

A 34-year-old has been charged with murder after a man was stabbed to death in Leyton over the weekend.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police want to talk to this woman about the incident

Police have released an image of a woman they want to speak to after a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf was racially abused on a Piccadilly line train.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Peter Mussett sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl on the DLR

A 32-year-old man carried out an ‘incredibly frightening’ sexual assault on a 12-year-old girl travelling alone on the DLR.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police have released a CCTV image of a cyclist believed to have knocked a woman to the ground.

CCTV images of a cyclist accused of forcefully knocking a woman over in Bermondsey before speeding off have been released by police.

Thursday, April 23, 2015
Ambrose Ball has been missing since January 24

Police have recovered a body from the River Lea and believe it may be that of Ambrose Ball, who went missing in January after crashing his car.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Two phones. Same phone case. Genius.

To celebrate the launch of the first luxury dual phone case, PearPeel, we are giving away two of the black leather Rocha cases, perfect for holding two iPhone 6 handsets.

Read more
We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.