Sexual abuse allegations against Max Clifford “damaging and totally untrue”

09:13 07 December 2012

PR guru Max Clifford speaks to the media outside Belgravia police station. Picture: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire

PR guru Max Clifford speaks to the media outside Belgravia police station. Picture: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire

PR guru Max Clifford has protested his innocence after being arrested by detectives investigating the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal - describing the allegations as “damaging and totally untrue”.

Clifford said the allegations against him were "damaging and totally untrue". Picture: Jonathan Brady/PA WireClifford said the allegations against him were "damaging and totally untrue". Picture: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire

The publicist was taken to Belgravia police station in central London for questioning after being held at his Surrey home at 7.40am yesterday on suspicion of sexual offences.

He was arrested as part of Operation Yewtree, the investigation into allegations of sex abuse surrounding Savile and others, before being bailed at around 9.20pm.

Speaking outside the station last night, a shocked-looking Clifford said: “These allegations are damaging and totally untrue.

“On a personal level, they are very distressing for myself, my wife, my family and loved ones.

“Anyone who really knew me all those years ago and those who have known me since will have no doubt that I would never act in the way that I have today been accused.”

Answering questions from reporters, Clifford said he thought he was facing two allegations dating back to 1977 and added that “just the accusations themselves are very damaging”.

Police said in a statement that a man from Surrey arrested on suspicion of sexual offences had been bailed to appear at a date later this month, adding: “We are not prepared to discuss further.”

Scotland Yard is leading the national investigation into claims made against disgraced TV presenter Savile and other figures in the entertainment industry.

Clifford is the fifth suspect to be arrested - and the sixth person to be questioned - in connection with the Yewtree operation, which has already cost around £2million and involves a team of 30 officers.

Last month the publicist publicly questioned where the police inquiry might lead and said a lot of old stars were worried about being dragged into the investigation because they had appeared on Top Of The Pops or Jim’ll Fix It and had merely posed for photographs with girls and Savile.

“It is a situation which could easily turn into a witch hunt, a lot of big stars are frightened,” he told ITV’s Daybreak.

“Where is it going to end?

“I hope they (the police) concentrate on finding people like Jimmy Savile who were manipulating girls.”

His arrest follows the questioning by detectives last week of a man in his 80s from Berkshire, as part of the investigation that does not directly relate to Savile.

Gary Glitter, comedian Freddie Starr, DJ Dave Lee Travis and a man in his 70s have been arrested and bailed as part of the investigation.

Last month Scotland Yard said it was dealing with about 450 potential victims, the vast majority of whom claimed they had fallen prey to Savile.

Officers are looking at three strands within their inquiry: claims against Savile, those against Savile and others, and those against others.

Latest Crime news

Friday, June 24, 2016
Mahash Vidyadhar Patwardhan

A former gynaecologist at Queen Elizabeth Hospital has been found guilty of sexually assaulting four women who had come to him for medical examinations.

Thursday, June 23, 2016
Police have released this e-fit of the suspect.

The hunt is on for a man who sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl in Highbury, before stealing a bike and making his escape.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016
The victim was attacked at an address in Wayford Street (Photo: Google StreetView)

An 18-year-old died yesterday afternoon after he was stabbed at an address in Battersea’s Wayford Street.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016
(Photo: Oli Scarff/Getty Images)

A 29-year-old man has been arrested at Heathrow Airport on suspicion of terrorism as he was about to board a flight to Saudi Arabia.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016
This still from a home video shows Ellie Butler with her father Ben who has been found guilty of her murder (Photo: Metropolitan Police/PA)

‘Evil’ father Ben Butler has been jailed for life with a minimum term of at least 23 years for killing his six-year-old daughter in a fit of rage - less than a year after winning her back in a high-profile custody battle.

Monday, June 20, 2016
The pair were found dead at a home in Fulham Court (Photo: Google StreetView)

A murder investigation has been launched after a man and a women were killed in leafy Fulham in the early hours of this morning.

Don't Miss...

Competitions

£15k prize bundle

Imagine having the opportunity to win an incredible £15,000 bundle of some of the most amazing prizes available. Well, for one lucky contest entrant that dream could soon become a reality because we at MyOffers are offering an incredible free prize bundle that will make even the most hardened person wild with excitement.

Read more
Win a BMW 1 series

There are fewer cars currently on the market more stylish and exciting than the BMW. Known all over the world as one of the best car manufacturers, the BMW is renowned for sleek designs and fantastic high quality workmanship.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport