Tasers very rarely discharged, says Met Commissioner

11:47 22 February 2013

The commissioner was joined for his regular webchat by assistant commissioner Cressida Dick. Picture: Lewis Whyld/PA Wire

The commissioner was joined for his regular webchat by assistant commissioner Cressida Dick. Picture: Lewis Whyld/PA Wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Just unholstering a taser is enough to de-escalate potentially violent situations in 85 per cent of cases, Met commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe claimed yesterday.

In response to a question from a member of the public on a live webchat yesterday, the commissioner said tasers had been discharged less frequently over the last year despite more being available, adding that in the vast majority of cases just their presence is enough of a deterrent.

He said: “In 85 per cent of cases [in 2012] the presence of a taser (being drawn) was sufficient to bring a potentially violent situation to a swift conclusion. Even though we do have more tasers available they have been discharged less than in 2011.”

Mr Hogan Howe’s comments follow recent criticism of the Met for tasering innocent bystanders, which has led many to doubt whether equipping more police with them is prudent.

Last September a 17-year-old was tasered when he became trapped in the midst of a stand-off between police and a gang of armed robbers outside a jewellery shop in Turnpike Lane, Haringey.

The incident left the boy unconscious and his mother subsequently hit out at the officers involved. She said her son was clearly distinguishable from the crew of balaclava-clad robbers, as he was not wearing one, and that onlookers had repeatedly stressed to police that the teenager was not part of the group.

During the webchat with members of the public, the Met Commissioner also revealed that 59 Met officers had been dismissed last year for criminal activity or serious misconduct.

And in answer to one strident questioner who linked illegal minicabs to rape, Mr Hogan-Howe said the Met was not ignoring the problem and about 700 illegal minicab touts were arrested each year.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Mohammed Yasser Afzal

The man accused of murdering a minicab controller admitted in a typed letter found in his pocket that he killed him “because of his own crazy feelings”, a court heard today.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Demetris Costa Hapeshi used the University's database to get a student's phone number  [Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images]

A lecturer who discussed sex toys with his students - and even kissed one of them - is fit to carry on working, a tribunal has ruled.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
John Webster slashed his victim's neck with a kitchen knife and shards of glass while telling her he loved her

A father-of-three launched a brutal assault on his ex partner, slashing her neck with a kitchen knife and shards of glass and kicking her in the head - all while telling her he ‘loved her’.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
The man died after being attacked in Cumberland Park, Acton (Pic: Google)

A murder investigation has been launched following the discovery of a man’s body at an flat in Cumberland Park, Acton.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015
The incident took place outside this bank on Ewell Road this morning [Image from Google StreetView]

The HSBC bank in Tolworth’s Ewell Road was robbed this morning at 9.30am.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015
The crime scene this morning [Photograph by @Leotheunsure]

A 30-year-old man is in a ‘critical condition’ in hospital this morning after he was shot in a suspected gang crime in Redbridge.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...