Teenage muggers who killed Neasden chef in Fulham locked up for six years each

17:07 23 April 2012

Krzysztof Rusek was stabbed to death on his 30th birthday

Krzysztof Rusek was stabbed to death on his 30th birthday

Archant

All four admitted manslaughter partway through a murder trial at the Old Bailey

A gang of teenage muggers who stabbed a hotel chef to death for just £12 as he celebrated his 30th birthday have been locked up for six years each today (Monday).

Krzysztof Rusek from Neasden, was knifed through the heart after the four hooded attackers demanded cash from him and his friends in a Fulham park on June 7 last year.

The Old Bailey heard the Polish national died in hospital while his friend was saved by chance when a blade hit bank cards in his wallet

Ruairi Bicknell and Akeem Salako, both 18, along Ben Wiles and Stefan Morgan, who are 17 and can be named for the first time today, then fled the scene in different directions before changing their clothes following the attack.

All four denied taking part in the killing, but admitted manslaughter partway through a murder retrial last month.

Simon Denison QC, prosecuting, had told the court: “One of Mr Rusek’s group handed over all the cash that he had - a little over £12 in coins.

“We don’t know what Krzysztof Rusek tried to resist or if he did nothing.

“He is no longer alive to tell us what happened, and the others didn’t see it.”

All four were each given indefinite sentences for public protection and ordered to serve at least six years behind bars.

They must convince a parole board they no longer pose a risk before they can be released.

Judge John Milford QC, told them their sentences had to reflect the public’s ‘abhorrence of the carrying of knives’.

He added: “Anyone who takes part in an enterprise of this sort, involving a preparedness if necessary to deliberately stab victims of robbery, and then flees the scene, not showing a shred of remorse for the victims, must be considered dangerous.”

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Monday, March 30, 2015
Police want to speak to this woman after an assault on the 118 bus to Brixton [Images from Metropolitan Police]

Police have issued CCTV images after a woman was beaten and kicked in a row aboard a night bus on New Year’s Day.

Monday, March 30, 2015
Police believe the attack took place behind the Surbiton KFC, on the Electric Parade (Pic: Google Maps)

Police are appealing for information after two men were seriously injured near a KFC in Surbiton.

Sunday, March 29, 2015
The incident took place on this street in Newham [Image from Google StreetView]

A man in his twenties has been charged with murder after a man died at a house at East Ham on Saturday night.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

Friday, March 27, 2015

We previously ran an appeal asking the public to report any sightings of Joshua Packman, a young man who was receiving treatment at a mental health unit in Enfield.

Friday, March 27, 2015
McDonagh has been jailed for four years [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A conman has been jailed for locking a 90-year-old man in his basement in order to burgle his Fulham home.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...