Teenage robbers jailed after jewellery store raid

10:09 02 February 2013

Momim Hassan (left) and Tajwar Shah were jailed after they raided a jewellery store and then shot at members of the public. Picture: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire

Momim Hassan (left) and Tajwar Shah were jailed after they raided a jewellery store and then shot at members of the public. Picture: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire

Two teenagers who raided a jewellery store in Edgware before shooting at members of the public as they were chased have been jailed.

Momim Hassan, 17, of Devonshire Road, Barnet, and Tajwar Shah, 16, of St Edmunds Drive, Stanmore, went armed with a hammer and a blank firing gun to Vinsons Jewellers in Station Road on November 16 last year.

Hassan also pleaded guilty to possessing a stun gun.

The pair was jailed for four years and three-and-a-half years respectively at Wood Green Crown Court yesterday. They were named after a judge lifted restrictions that prevented them being identified.

They had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to robbery and possession of an imitation firearm, Scotland Yard said.

The court heard at 11.20am they went to the shop front, smashed a window with the hammer and tried to steal some of the jewellery on display.

But a female staff member challenged them and they got into a struggle, during which Shah fired the gun into the air.

Passers-by and other shop workers chased the pair down nearby Station Road and Shah turned his gun on them, firing in their direction.

The pursuers then spotted the two boys trying to change their clothes in a car park, and after another chase the pair were caught by members of the public, before being arrested by police.

Officers found a bag belonging to the teenagers which contained a stun gun and a key to a car parked nearby which had false number plates and had been taken from a relative of Shah’s without them knowing.

Speaking after the sentencing, Detective Constable Tim Fines, from the Flying Squad, said: “The judge has commended the bravery of those members of the public who pursued and detained these two males - I would like to reiterate this praise.

“Thanks to their efforts, and the efforts of officers who attended the scene, two dangerous males are behind bars.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, March 27, 2015
McDonagh has been jailed for four years [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A conman has been jailed for locking a 90-year-old man in his basement in order to burgle his Fulham home.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Do you know this man? [Photograph from British Transport Police]

Police are hunting a thug who attacked a 17-year-old boy with half a brick on a train journey from Crystal Palace to East Dulwich - then snatched a man’s phone in West Norwood station.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Mohammed Yasser Afzal

The man accused of murdering a minicab controller admitted in a typed letter found in his pocket that he killed him “because of his own crazy feelings”, a court heard today.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Demetris Costa Hapeshi used the University's database to get a student's phone number  [Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images]

A lecturer who discussed sex toys with his students - and even kissed one of them - is fit to carry on working, a tribunal has ruled.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
John Webster slashed his victim's neck with a kitchen knife and shards of glass while telling her he loved her

A father-of-three launched a brutal assault on his ex partner, slashing her neck with a kitchen knife and shards of glass and kicking her in the head - all while telling her he ‘loved her’.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
The man died after being attacked in Cumberland Park, Acton (Pic: Google)

A murder investigation has been launched following the discovery of a man’s body at an flat in Cumberland Park, Acton.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...