Tottenham director says bank gave him negligent advice over £65million investment

19:29 06 December 2012

Sir Keith Mills. File picture: Dominic Lipinski/PA

Sir Keith Mills. File picture: Dominic Lipinski/PA

A director of Tottenham Hotspur says one of the UK’s most famous banks gave him negligent investment advice and is claiming millions in damages.

Businessman Sir Keith Mills, who was also a leading member of the body which staged the London 2012 Games, says he lost out after asking Coutts to advise him on investing £65million five years ago.

A judge today began hearing argument from lawyers representing both sides at a High Court hearing in London.

Sir Keith, who is a non-executive director of Tottenham and was deputy chairman of the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG), says if he had been “properly advised” he would have chosen “less risky” investment options.

He is asking Mrs Justice Asplin to assess damages at a hearing expected to last several days.

Simon Salzedo QC, for Sir Keith, today told the judge that Coutts had admitted acting “negligently” but damages had not been agreed.

A Coutts spokeswoman said outside court: “We have taken the decision not to dispute the advice provided to Sir Keith Mills in relation to this product.

“However, while we regret that a client matter has ended up in court, we have been unable to agree to Sir Keith Mills’ claim as to the actual loss that he suffered in relation to this product.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Mr Packman went missing from the Dennis Scott Unit of Edgware Community Hospital in 2012 [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A young man who was receiving treatment at a mental health unit in Enfield has absconded, and police have warned the public not to approach Joshua Packman if they see him.

Friday, March 27, 2015
McDonagh has been jailed for four years [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A conman has been jailed for locking a 90-year-old man in his basement in order to burgle his Fulham home.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Do you know this man? [Photograph from British Transport Police]

Police are hunting a thug who attacked a 17-year-old boy with half a brick on a train journey from Crystal Palace to East Dulwich - then snatched a man’s phone in West Norwood station.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Mohammed Yasser Afzal

The man accused of murdering a minicab controller admitted in a typed letter found in his pocket that he killed him “because of his own crazy feelings”, a court heard today.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Demetris Costa Hapeshi used the University's database to get a student's phone number  [Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images]

A lecturer who discussed sex toys with his students - and even kissed one of them - is fit to carry on working, a tribunal has ruled.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...