Tottenham NPK gang ‘conker killer’ jailed for Stephen Grisales’ murder

14:08 19 June 2012

Victim Steven Grisales

Victim Steven Grisales

Archant

A 15-year-old boy who stabbed a promising architecture student to death for complaining about having conkers thrown at him has been jailed for a minimum 10-and-a-half years.

The youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, later boasted of being a member of the Tottenham-based Northumberland Park Killers gang, or NPK, while on remand in prison.

The Enfield youth was jailed last Wednesday at the Old Bailey but is expected to appeal his conviction, having denied murder throughout, blaming a friend.

He was found guilty of murdering 21-year-old Steven Grisales as he made his way to Silver Street station in Edmonton on August 31 last year.

He was pelted with conkers, still in their spiky shells, along with other pedestrians, thrown by a group of teenagers who he got into a row with.

As the argument continued the teenager pulled out a knife and stabbed Steven in the heart. He died in hospital a day later.

Steven’s mother, Jasmid Grisales, said the verdict “does not change our lives in any way because we lost Steven forever and he is not coming back to us”.

She added: “We have to carry this cross for the rest of our lives.

“Steven was always loved by absolutely every person who had the privilege of knowing him and calling him a friend, cousin, nephew, grandson, son or brother. He always gave without expecting anything in return and he always tried for everyone around him to be happy.

“This result can show that in a way it is justice and people should start learning that for every wrong you do, sooner or later you have to pay the price.”

Detective Inspector Richard Beadle, senior investigating officer at the Homicide and Serious Crime Command, said: “Steven did no more than stand up to an unruly youth and for that he has lost his life.

“But for the courageous intervention of a local resident I am convinced the knife attack would have continued.

“The man placed himself in front of Steven while the youth was repeatedly attempting to stab him again.

“The defendant has shown no remorse and has continually lied about his involvement. He was even prepared to blame the stabbing on his friend if it meant he could escape conviction. His arrogance and contempt for others belies his age.

“I am extremely grateful to those witnesses who came forward - without them we would not have achieved a successful prosecution.

“Sadly there were others, known to the defendant, who held vital information and refused to help the inquiry. In fact they did all they could to deter the investigation and, ultimately, justice.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Simpson-Kent was captured in Ghana after fleeing the UK following the death of his partner Sian Blake and their two children (Photo: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire)

Sian Blake’s partner has been charged with the murders of the ex-EastEnders actress and their two children, police have said.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Police are keen to identify this man (Photo: Metropolitan Police)

Police are asking south London women to be vigilant if travelling alone and on foot in the early hours, after three women were attacked within four miles of each other.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police are investigating attempted child abductions

A man has been charged after reports that a number of schoolchildren were approached by someone impersonating a police officer in Hornsey.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police would like to speak with this man (Picture: Metropolitan Police)

A 27-year-old man was punched in the face and pummelled as he lay on the ground in a sustained and unprovoked attack at a Bloomsbury bus stop.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
The two men police want to identify

A horrifying attack in Shoreditch has left a man with a fractured skull after he was beaten with wooden stakes.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport