Wanted mafia boss discovered in London suburb to appear in court

08:26 22 August 2013

Alleged mafia boss Domenico Rancadore is due to appear in court again today. Picture: Anthony Devlin/PA Wire

Alleged mafia boss Domenico Rancadore is due to appear in court again today. Picture: Anthony Devlin/PA Wire

A fugitive mafia boss who was arrested after being discovered living in a west London suburb is due back in court today.

The Uxbridge home of Domenico Rancadore, who was convicted in 1999 of being part of a criminal organisation between 1987 and 1995. Picture: Steve Parsons/PA WireThe Uxbridge home of Domenico Rancadore, who was convicted in 1999 of being part of a criminal organisation between 1987 and 1995. Picture: Steve Parsons/PA Wire

Domenico Rancadore, 64, is wanted in Italy to serve a seven year jail term for his role as ‘a man of honour’ in Cosa Nostra, collecting bribes from builders in Trabia near Palermo.

Westminster Magistrates’ Court was told earlier this month he was a leader in a murderous gang who ‘spread terror in Sicily’.

He was denied bail on the grounds that he has evaded capture since coming to the UK 20 years ago by living under a false name.

Prosecutor Benjamin Seifert said: “The information says that Mr Rancadore was one of the heads of an armed criminal organisation known as Cosa Nostra which is said to be one of the most powerful Mafia organisations in Italy, made up of thousands of members spreading terror in Sicily by imposing its rules and controlling the area and systematically murdering anybody who did not comply with the will of the members of the organisation.”

Rancadore was convicted of mafia links in Italy in his absence after he had come to live in the UK with his family in 1993, and lived in Uxbridge with his travel agent wife.

Italian prosecutors claim that he received around £3,500 in bribe money, and Mr Seifert said he had ‘ensured strict compliance with the rules of the organisation’.

He was found guilty of being part of the gang between December 1987 and April 1995.

Despite offering a surety of £10,000 and the assurance that he would be placed under ‘constant scrutiny’ by police if released, Rancadore’s application for bail was denied.

The court heard that he was acquitted of previous Mafia charges in 1993 after spending months in custody and more than two years under house arrest.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police want to talk to this woman about the incident

Police have released an image of a woman they want to speak to after a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf was racially abused on a Piccadilly line train.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Peter Mussett sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl on the DLR

A 32-year-old man carried out an ‘incredibly frightening’ sexual assault on a 12-year-old girl travelling alone on the DLR.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police have released a CCTV image of a cyclist believed to have knocked a woman to the ground.

CCTV images of a cyclist accused of forcefully knocking a woman over in Bermondsey before speeding off have been released by police.

Thursday, April 23, 2015
Ambrose Ball has been missing since January 24

Police have recovered a body from the River Lea and believe it may be that of Ambrose Ball, who went missing in January after crashing his car.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Scotland Yard would like to speak to this man in connection with the attack [Photo by Metropolitan Police]

A 13-year-old girl was sexually attacked on a Bromley-bound bus, police have revealed.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
The man was attacked until he got off the train at King's Cross station (Photo by Oli Scarff/Getty Images)

A Victoria Line passenger was subjected to a vile racist tirade after asking a man not to spit on the Underground.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.