Wembley knifeman who tried to kill police officers locked up indefinitely

14:15 13 December 2012

Christopher Haughton has been locked up indefintely

Christopher Haughton has been locked up indefintely

Archant

A knife maniac who tried to kill two policemen with a meat cleaver in Kingsbury has been locked up in a mental hospital indefinitely.

Christopher Haughton, 33, of Milford Gardens, Wembley, left three victims with life-threatening injuries after he slashed at them with a ten-inch blade in Kingsbury Road on November 19 last year.

The Old Bailey heard he bit his victims and hurled missiles at them before running into a Halal butcher’s shop where he grabbed a knife and attacked them. He knifed PC Thomas Harding in the abdomen, stabbed PC Andrew Robb in the leg and slashed PC Alastair Hinchliff’s throat.

He also tried to slash PC Sham Haque when the knife came within a hair’s breadth of his neck.

When he was restrained Haughton spat mouthfuls of blood at them and said he was HIV positive.

Today Judge Peter Beaumont, the Recorder of London, said the officers showed courage, as he ordered Haughton to be detained without limit of time under the Mental Health Act.

He asked for his comments to be passed on to the Metropolitan Police commissioner.

Judge Beaumont said: “It seems appropriate to draw to the attention of the commissioner the court’s appreciation of the very considerable courage of the three police officers.

“All three acted in a very difficult situation with very considerable courage and the public is in their debt.”

He also praised Sergeant David Weir, the senior officer at the scene, who was in a police vehicle when a breeze block was thrown at the windscreen.

The judge said: “The court expresses its appreciation of the determination and skill he displayed in a situation which was in danger of unravelling out of control.”

Haughton claimed he was insane and although psychiatrist Dr Philip Joseph said Haughton was a paranoid schizophrenic he would have been aware what he was doing was wrong and was in control of his actions.

He was convicted of two counts of attempted murder, of wounding PC Andrew Robb with intent and attempting to wound PC Haque with intent, as well as three counts of causing actual bodily harm and common assault.

He was cleared of the attempted murder of PCs Robb and Haque and acquitted of causing grievous bodily harm to Sgt Weir. He was convicted of causing actual bodily harm to PCs Charlton and Barker in relation to an incident in Streatham in October last year.

In a letter, Haughton’s mother Angela apologised to the officers on behalf of her family. She said Haughton had been calm and loving before becoming ill.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police want to talk to this woman about the incident

Police have released an image of a woman they want to speak to after a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf was racially abused on a Piccadilly line train.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Peter Mussett sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl on the DLR

A 32-year-old man carried out an ‘incredibly frightening’ sexual assault on a 12-year-old girl travelling alone on the DLR.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police have released a CCTV image of a cyclist believed to have knocked a woman to the ground.

CCTV images of a cyclist accused of forcefully knocking a woman over in Bermondsey before speeding off have been released by police.

Thursday, April 23, 2015
Ambrose Ball has been missing since January 24

Police have recovered a body from the River Lea and believe it may be that of Ambrose Ball, who went missing in January after crashing his car.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Scotland Yard would like to speak to this man in connection with the attack [Photo by Metropolitan Police]

A 13-year-old girl was sexually attacked on a Bromley-bound bus, police have revealed.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
The man was attacked until he got off the train at King's Cross station (Photo by Oli Scarff/Getty Images)

A Victoria Line passenger was subjected to a vile racist tirade after asking a man not to spit on the Underground.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.