Woolwich attack: Ex-Met boss calls for public assurances from security services

09:51 24 May 2013

Soldiers walk past floral tributes outside the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich. Picture: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire

Soldiers walk past floral tributes outside the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich. Picture: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire

A former Met Commissioner has said the public need to know whether the security services are operating properly following the Woolwich killing, as reports found the two attackers were known to MI5.

Lord Blair said it was important a statement was made clearing up whether or not bad decisions were taken by the services in their monitoring of the two men accused of killing Drummer Lee Rigby.

Speaking on the BBC’s Today programme this morning, he said: “I think it’s important for the public to have somebody say within the limits of legality that either something was mistaken, decisions were badly taken, or they weren’t, because I think it’s important for the public to know that security services and the police are operating properly.”

But even with the necessary resources, officials must have “very high levels of suspicion”, he added.

On the same programme, the government’s communities secretary Eric Pickles stressed the Prime Minister was “very clear” he wanted to see an investigation about “what went right and what went wrong” as it emerged the alleged killers - reported as Michael Adebolajo, 28, and 22-year-old Michael Adebowale - were known to security services.

Ex-MI6 officer Richard Barrett told the BBC it was “enormously hard” to identify that someone is going to commit a crime like this.

“When does a person who expresses radical views, who joined a radical group, flip over to be a violent extremist, somebody who’s going to commit a crime like this?” he said.

“And to find the signals, the sort of red flags as it were I think is enormously hard. And I imagine these two people themselves didn’t have any intention to commit a crime like this until relatively recently before they did.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Monday, March 30, 2015
Police believe the attack took place behind the Surbiton KFC, on the Electric Parade (Pic: Google Maps)

Police are appealing for information after two men were seriously injured near a KFC in Surbiton.

Sunday, March 29, 2015
The incident took place on this street in Newham [Image from Google StreetView]

A man in his twenties has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a man died in East Ham on Saturday night.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

Friday, March 27, 2015

We previously ran an appeal asking the public to report any sightings of Joshua Packman, a young man who was receiving treatment at a mental health unit in Enfield.

Friday, March 27, 2015
McDonagh has been jailed for four years [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A conman has been jailed for locking a 90-year-old man in his basement in order to burgle his Fulham home.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Do you know this man? [Photograph from British Transport Police]

Police are hunting a thug who attacked a 17-year-old boy with half a brick on a train journey from Crystal Palace to East Dulwich - then snatched a man’s phone in West Norwood station.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...