Didn’t see that one coming; Crystal ball sparks house fire

You didn

You didn't see that coming did you? (Picture: London Fire Brigade)

Archant

A couple’s crystal ball failed to predict their bedroom would set on fire after it was the glass ornament itself which sparked the blaze at a house in Romford.

The sun’s rays were refracted through the crystal ball, setting light to the curtains, which spread to the rest of the man's bedroom (Picture: London Fire Brigade)The sun’s rays were refracted through the crystal ball, setting light to the curtains, which spread to the rest of the man's bedroom (Picture: London Fire Brigade)

The pair had to call in firefighters after failing to have the foresight to keep the orb out of direct sunlight.

Its rays were refracted through the ball, setting light to the curtains, before the fire spread to the rest of the room.

A spokesman for London Fire Brigade said the couple attempted to tackle the fire with a garden hose and some towels before realising the fire was too severe and calling for help.

The blaze started on Sunday afternoon at a house in Church Road, Romford, whilst the male occupant was asleep in the bedroom after a night shift, but was awoken by his smoke alarm.

Fire Investigation Officer Mick Boyle said: “That smoke alarm saved his life – he could easily have slept through and been overcome by smoke.

“You can’t predict the future, but you can prevent this type of fire by keeping glass ornaments, mirrors, and bottles away from sunny window sills.”

Related articles

Promotions

BT Home Smart Cam

When I was first told by my boss that I would be doing a review on the BT Smart Cam 100 I didn’t quite know what to expect. Before even looking at the product I was picturing it as nothing more than a web cam with a fancy name.

AGA Living Subscription

Every issue of AGA Living magazine is packed full of celebrity AGA owner interviews, interior and design features, ideas to inspire your culinary imagination, mouth-watering recipes and inspirational shopping ideas.

Biffo and Bobo better stay away from the town of Vendargues this Halloween.

As a state of emergency is declared in Burkina Faso, what does the future hold for its president and people?

It might not be moving very fast but it’s still causing problems.

After staging an Ebola-themed night, a nightclub has been forced to make an apology after hundreds complained about the tasteless event.

Quirky London