December 5 2013 Latest news:
Monday, October 21, 2013
Eighty residents of a block of flats in south London had a rude awakening this morning, when a fire caused by a woman falling asleep in the middle of some cooking led to their evacuation.
Firefighters had to rescue the woman from her first floor flat in Loughborough Court, Brixton, before ambulance crew took her to hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “It seems that the woman put some cooking on the stove and then fell asleep, which is how the fire started.
“Cooking when you’re tired or have had a drink is very dangerous. If you think there’s a chance you might fall asleep, make a cold sandwich instead.”
The Brigade said it sent four engines with 21 firefighters and officers, who brought the blaze under control by 9.17am.