Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s privacy invaded in “grotesque and totally unjustifiable manner”

10:13 14 September 2012

A French magazine has published topless photos of The Duchess of Cambridge, pictured here on a visit to the Assyakirin Mosque in Kuala Lumpur. Picture: Danny Lawson/PA Wire

A French magazine has published topless photos of The Duchess of Cambridge, pictured here on a visit to the Assyakirin Mosque in Kuala Lumpur. Picture: Danny Lawson/PA Wire

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have said their privacy has been invade in “a grotesque and totally unjustifiable manner” following the publication of photos of the Duchess topless.

St James’s Palace released a statement following the publication of the photos by Closer magazine in France, likening the incident to the “worst excesses of the press and paparazzi during the life of Diana, Princess of Wales”.

The images were taken during a holiday the Duchess of Cambridge took with Prince William last week at a chateau owned by the Queen’s nephew Lord Linley in Provence.

The statement said in full: “Their Royal Highnesses have been hugely saddened to learn that a French publication and a photographer have invaded their privacy in such a grotesque and totally unjustifiable manner.

“The incident is reminiscent of the worst excesses of the press and paparazzi during the life of Diana, Princess of Wales, and all the more upsetting to The Duke and Duchess for being so.

“Their Royal Highnesses had every expectation of privacy in the remote house. It is unthinkable that anyone should take such photographs, let alone publish them.

“Officials acting on behalf of Their Royal Highnesses are consulting with lawyers to consider what options may be available to The Duke and Duchess.

“The Duke and Duchess remain focused currently on their Tour of Singapore, Malaysia, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu on behalf of HM The Queen.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, March 27, 2015
The app has rapidly become both widespread and controversial [Photo by Sergi Alexander/Getty Images for SOBEWFF]

The fate of the popular car-booking app hangs in the balance as TfL asks the High Court to decide if it is operating illegally in the capital.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Mr Packman went missing from the Dennis Scott Unit of Edgware Community Hospital in 2012 [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A young man who was receiving treatment at a mental health unit in Enfield has absconded, and police have warned the public not to approach Joshua Packman if they see him.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The roof of the double deck bus was torn off by the impact of the collision (Pic: Twitter/David Marsh)

Eleven children were injured when the roof of the double decker bus they were travelling in was ripped off after crashing into a bridge, ambulance services have confirmed.

Friday, March 27, 2015
McDonagh has been jailed for four years [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A conman has been jailed for locking a 90-year-old man in his basement in order to burgle his Fulham home.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...