Earls Court anti-demolition campaigners vow to fight on

14:30 27 November 2012

Earls Court will be demolished under the plans. File picture: PA Wire

Earls Court will be demolished under the plans. File picture: PA Wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Campaigners opposed to the demolition of Earls Court are pressing ahead with fundraising plans to enable them to fight on against the sites redevelopment.

Developers Capco have been given permission by Kensington and Chelsea and Hammersmith and Fulham Conservative-run councils to knock down both parts of the historic exhibition centre and replace them with what is described as a new London district.

This would comprise 7,500 new homes, four new “urban villages”, and new shops, offices, and leisure space.

But it will also involve uprooting residents from the existing Kensington and Gibbs Green housing estates.

Jonathan Rosenberg, community organiser of the Save Earls Court Campaign, said they planned to use the cash raised to blitz those affected by the council’s decision with their reasons for opposition.

They are also considering legal action.

He said: “One of the things about this campaign is how many different audiences there are (for it).

“The existence of the Earls Court exhibition centre means there is heritage and culture and an events industry, then you have the High Street and the various businesses.

“There are going to be a large number of jobs lost - we are talking about all the companies that support the shows around there.

“The money that we raise will help us get our message across and target these different groups.”

After greenlighting the plans last week, councillors maintained 12,000 permanent full-time jobs and new homes for locals will be created on the 77-acre site.

Cllr Paul Warwick, who chaired Kensington and Chelsea’s planning committee, said: “We hope that the granting of this planning application will make Earls Court a more desirable place to live with less congestion and more opportunity for work, commerce and leisure.”

But Mr Rosenberg said residents had been served an inadequate consultation and said the new high rise homes were more likely to go to foreign owners for profit.

“People don’t want to lose their homes or be shoved into flats. They don’t want to be broken up, they want their neighbours. They don’t want high rise flats.

“The decisions that have been taken are not nice. If somebody forces you out of your home against your will, it’s clearly to your detriment.”

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police are investigating attempted child abductions

A man has been charged after reports that a number of schoolchildren were approached by someone impersonating a police officer in Hornsey.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more
Surface Pro 4

Technology is ever evolving. We are constantly being shown new technology that is innovative, revolutionary and designed to make life easier for us all. Gone are the days of dial up modems and computers so large you needed half a room to store it. We are in the age of smooth, small and sleek. Companies are all trying their best to create technology that is easy to transport and guaranteed to be user friendly.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport