Family suffers carbon monoxide poisoning after barbecue used indoors

08:15 05 January 2013

The barbecue was brought indoors to dry laundry

The barbecue was brought indoors to dry laundry

Archant

Four young children were among six people who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning after a grandmother used a barbecue indoors to dry clothes.

The incident occurred when the woman was drying some washing in the kitchen of a house on Hockley Avenue in East Ham.

To speed the drying up she decided to use her garden barbecue, so she lit some wood and when it had stopped smoking she carried it into the kitchen, placing it near the back door.

She then placed the washing around it and left the back door open.

The woman then left the house, leaving her two daughters-in-law and four grandchildren inside. Two of the children were in the living room and two were upstairs asleep.

After she left, one of the occupants closed the back door.

Later, one of the women in the house made a call to a relative saying she felt unwell.

She visited the house and noticed a strange smell and opened the back door and took the barbecue outside. When she re-entered the house one of the children collapsed.

An ambulance was called and two women and four children were taken to hospital. All six now been discharged from hospital following the incident on Wednesday afternoon.

Firefighters ventilated the home before handing the incident over to the police.

Fire chiefs have branded the behaviour dangerous and the London Fire Brigade is urging people to get a carbon monoxide alarm as well as smoke alarms.

Dave Brown, from the London Fire Brigade, said: “In my 28 year career I have never heard of anybody using a barbecue to dry clothes let alone using one indoors.

“Never, ever bring a lit or smouldering barbecue indoors, not only is it a serious fire risk but it also omits carbon monoxide which is a poisonous gas that can kill or seriously injure.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Saturday, May 2, 2015
Royal fans celebrate outside the Lindo Wing entrance at St Mary's Hospital after reports from Kensington Palace announced the born of a baby girl (Daniel Leal-Olivas/PA)

The Duchess of Cambridge has given birth to a girl - with mother and baby both doing well, Kensington Palace has announced.

Friday, May 1, 2015
The Canalway Cavalcade is returning to Litte Venice.

It’s May, which is everyone’s favourite month because there are two bank holidays, all in the space of four weeks.

Friday, May 1, 2015
Michelle Thomas wants to hear about your wildest, weirdest and most heart-warming stories.

A writer is paying Londoners £1 to share their life anecdotes in her quest to create a book featuring the most incredible tales.

Friday, May 1, 2015
The new roof garden at Crossrail's station in Canary Wharf. Pic: Foster + Partners

A tropical roof garden has opened to the public as part of a new Crossrail station at Canary Wharf.

Friday, May 1, 2015
Benson Igbokwe. Pic: Met Police

A man has been jailed after he held a gun at point-blank range at a manager of a Knightsbridge boutique store in an attempted kidnap.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Pop on the most stylish eyewear around from Specsavers.

London eyecare specialists Specsavers are offering London24 readers the chance to win a £150 voucher to spend on stylish eyewear in the city.

Read more
A swastika daubed on a poster promoting Simon Marcus.

Conservatives in Hampstead and Kilburn are calling in the police over anti-Semitic graffiti found daubed on posters promoting parliamentary candidate Simon Marcus in Queen’s Park.