Guardian journalist Simon Hoggart and ‘third man’ in David Blunkett affair dies aged 67

Guardian and Observer journalist Simon Hoggart has died aged 67. Picture: Ian Waldie/Getty Images

Guardian and Observer journalist Simon Hoggart has died aged 67. Picture: Ian Waldie/Getty Images

2004 Getty Images

Guardian journalist Simon Hoggart, described by the paper as one its ‘wittiest and most distinctive writers’, has died from pancreatic cancer.

The 67-year-old, who had been with the newspaper for more than four decades, was also a wine columnist for the Spectator, and presented the News Quiz on radio 4 for many years.

But he will also be remembered as the ‘third man’ in the affair with publisher Kimberly Quinn which brought down the career of politician David Blunkett in 2004.

Originally from Lancashire, his chance of a promising tennis career was cut short by a serious of injuries.

He instead opted for journalism, joining the Guardian in 1968 straight from university, later becoming the American correspondent for the Observer.

An obituary in the Guardian said of Hoggart: “Though a resourceful news reporter and feature writer with an eye for telling detail and a vivid turn of phrase, he found his most comfortable niche as a humorous, usually acerbic columnist.”

He was diagnosed with the disease several years ago, and continued to write for the newspaper until last month, when complications arose.

The Guardian said he was able to go home and see his family in west London on Christmas Day, he returned to the Royal Marsden hospital, where he died yesterday afternoon.

Its editor, Alan Rusbridger, said: “He wrote with mischief and a sometimes acid eye about the theatre of politics. But he wrote from a position of sophisticated knowledge and respect for parliament.

“A daily reading of his sketch told you things about the workings of Westminster which no news story could ever convey. He will be much missed by readers and his colleagues.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Monday, April 27, 2015
[Photograph by @TGE_LDNM]

Waterloo Station is standing room only as all routes in and out face sever delays after a person was killed by a train at Surbiton station.

Monday, April 27, 2015
Salah Mohammed was illegally touting for business near this carwash on Great Eastern Street when he picked up the victim [Image from Google StreetView]

A minicab driver has been jailed after picking up a woman in Shoreditch and taking to his friend’s house in Walthamstow, where she was raped.

Monday, April 27, 2015
@StevieJUk

A man has been taken to hospital with serious injuries after he fell from a second-floor shop window in the Royal Exchange in the City.

Monday, April 27, 2015
There are severe delays on the Victoria Line

A woman died in the early hours of this morning after she was struck by a Victoria Line train.

Monday, April 27, 2015
The Reclaim Brixton protest march on Saturday. Pic: Reclaim Brixton

On Saturday hundreds of protesters marched in Brixton to campaign against gentrification “pushing locals out of the area”.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Two phones. Same phone case. Genius.

To celebrate the launch of the first luxury dual phone case, PearPeel, we are giving away two of the black leather Rocha cases, perfect for holding two iPhone 6 handsets.

Read more
We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.