Heathrow deportation death inquest to resume

07:18 14 May 2013

An inquest is to resume today into the death of a man at Heathrow Airport as he was being deported.

Angolan Jimmy Mubenga, 46, became ill on a British Airways plane preparing to leave the west London airport after he was restrained by G4S guards Terence Hughes, Stuart Tribelnig and Colin Kaler in October 2010.

He later died in hospital.

The inquest is being heard before Karon Monaghan QC, assistant deputy coroner for Hammersmith and Fulham, at Isleworth Crown Court and is expected to last for eight weeks.

In July last year, prosecutors said they would be taking no action against the three G4S staff over the death.

Senior Crown advocate for the CPS Gaon Hart said he considered whether there was enough evidence to charge the guards or their employer G4S Care and Justice Services UK Limited.

He said: “After very careful consideration of all the evidence, and consultation with medical experts and experienced counsel, I have concluded that there is insufficient evidence to bring any charges for Mr Mubenga’s death.

“It is not enough to tell a jury what may have caused a person’s death. I have to have sufficient evidence that there is a realistic prospect of proving it to them beyond reasonable doubt, and in these circumstances the evidence did not satisfy that test.”

Mr Mubenga left behind his widow, Adrienne Makenda Kambana, and five children aged between one and 17

Mrs Kambana said she failed to understand why the guards would not be facing charges.

She said: “We are distraught my husband has been taken away from me and my children have lost their father.

“He was crying for help before he was killed. We can’t understand why the officers and G4S are not answerable to the law as we or any other member of the public would be.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
2 3 4 5 6

Latest London news

Wednesday, November 25, 2015
Junior doctors held a massive protest in London last month over the contracts and now plan to strike for three days in December (Picture: Naomi Ackerman/ London24)

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt today agreed to negotiate the junior doctor contract with the British Medical Association (BMA) in talks held by conciliatory service Acas, but the BMA say his consenting so late is ‘political game playing’.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...


Tesco - Every little helps

Would you like to have the opportunity to win a huge £2,500 to spend at Tesco? Well with this amazing prize you can do exactly that! MyOffers are giving you the chance to get your hands on £2,500 to spend on anything you desire may it be free weekly groceries for the foreseeable future, a new TV, home decoration or even a new sofa!

Read more
You could get your hands on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge!

Here’s your chance to win one of the most feature-packed smartphones on the planet, from tech giants Samsung, The Samsung S6 Edge!

Read more

Latest Tech News