Helicopter crash: Boris Johnson visits ‘tragic scene’

17:23 16 January 2013

Mayor of London Boris Johnson visits the tower block where a helicopter crashed into a crane. Picture: Sean Dempsey/PA Wire

Mayor of London Boris Johnson visits the tower block where a helicopter crashed into a crane. Picture: Sean Dempsey/PA Wire

The direction taken by aircraft over London is being examined following today’s helicopter crash in Vauxhall, Boris Johnson has said.

The helicopter was on its way to Battersea heliport, where it had been redirected after being unable to land at Elstree because of the weather.

Pete Barnes, the helicopter’s pilot, was one of two people who died when the aircraft hit a crane at the St George’s Wharf development and then fell to the ground. The other fatality was a person on the ground.

Mr Johnson, who visited the site of the crash this afternoon, said: “There are all sorts of questions that people are asking now about tall buildings, about lighting, and about the usage of Battersea heliport.

“These are very understandable questions in these circumstances because people will naturally want to know that we are doing our level best to make sure that London is prepared for any aviation accidents of this kind.

“These are matters that are now being investigated by the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) it would be wrong for me to pre-empt those.”

Mr Johnson said he had held talks with firefighters at the scene to check on the progress of their operation.

He added: “It’s a tragic scene of a wreckage of a carbonised helicopter and of course a great deal of damage done to an adjacent building and it doesn’t take a great deal to imagine what could have happened had that helicopter crashed into a bus or a heavily occupied building.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport