Hundreds expected to join London SlutWalk march

11:28 22 September 2012

SlutWalk protesters outside Downing Street earlier this week. Picture: Isabel Infantes

SlutWalk protesters outside Downing Street earlier this week. Picture: Isabel Infantes

Archant

Hundreds of women are expected to take part in a march in central London today to protest the way the legal system lets down victims of rape.

SlutWalk will see campaigners, some in their underwear, march from Piccadilly to Trafalgar Square, where there will be a rally.

The protest is part of the global SlutWalk movement and also involves the campaign group Women Against Rape, based in Camden.

Earlier this week SlutWalk protesters gathered outside Downing Street to call on Prime Minister David Cameron to ensure the justice system takes rape and sexual assault cases more seriously.

According to the group, only seven out of every 100 reported rapists are convicted.

The statement said: “SlutWalk wants justice for the thousands of rape survivors who were told by the police and courts that they were dressed too provocatively, they didn’t scream loudly enough, they were too drunk or too young or too mentally ill to understand what had happened to them, they must have consented because the rapist was their (ex)husband or (ex)boyfriend, they were sex workers and should be prosecuted rather than their attackers, they were asylum seekers and should be sent back to the detention centre or deported...”

Today’s march follows a similar event held in London last year.

The statement continued: “By marching again this year, we are letting the authorities know that we will not go away until they take rape seriously by thoroughly investigating and prosecuting, so that more rapists are convicted, men generally are discouraged from sexual violence, and women get the safety and justice we deserve. We all have a right to live free from the fear of rape.

“We demand a change in police and prosecution priorities, so more rapists are convicted and we get the safety and justice we deserve. We want the freedom to live without fear of rape.”

The SlutWalk movement started in Toronto, Canada, in 2011 after a policeman told a group of law students that in order to avoid being raped women should not dress provocatively.

Since then thousands of women have taken part in protests and marches in Canada, the United States and Britain.

The SlutWalk march will start at 12.30pm on Saturday at the Hyde Park Corner end of Piccadilly.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Monday, April 27, 2015
[Photograph by @TGE_LDNM]

Waterloo Station is standing room only as all routes in and out face sever delays after a person was killed by a train at Surbiton station.

Monday, April 27, 2015
Salah Mohammed was illegally touting for business near this carwash on Great Eastern Street when he picked up the victim [Image from Google StreetView]

A minicab driver has been jailed after picking up a woman in Shoreditch and taking to his friend’s house in Walthamstow, where she was raped.

Monday, April 27, 2015
@StevieJUk

A man has been taken to hospital with serious injuries after he fell from a second-floor shop window in the Royal Exchange in the City.

Monday, April 27, 2015
There are severe delays on the Victoria Line

A woman died in the early hours of this morning after she was struck by a Victoria Line train.

Monday, April 27, 2015
The Reclaim Brixton protest march on Saturday. Pic: Reclaim Brixton

On Saturday hundreds of protesters marched in Brixton to campaign against gentrification “pushing locals out of the area”.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Two phones. Same phone case. Genius.

To celebrate the launch of the first luxury dual phone case, PearPeel, we are giving away two of the black leather Rocha cases, perfect for holding two iPhone 6 handsets.

Read more
We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.