King Edward VII Hospital nurse death: Condemnation of prank call radio station

19:19 08 December 2012

Jacintha Saldanha was a nurse at King Edward VII Hospital.

Jacintha Saldanha was a nurse at King Edward VII Hospital.

Archant

The hospital which treated the Duchess of Cambridge today condemned a prank phone call by a radio station that led to the death of nurse, as her family struggled to come to terms with the tragedy.

In a letter to the Australian radio station 2day FM’s parent company, the hospital’s chairman Lord Glenarthur said he wanted to “protest” against the “extremely foolish” gag which he branded “truly appalling”.

His comments follow the apparent suicide on Friday of nurse Jacintha Saldanha, 46, who was on duty at the hospital when she was duped by DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian into helping reveal details about the Duchess of Cambridge’s health.

Lord Glenarthur said her death was “tragic beyond words”.

His letter to Southern Cross Austereo said the immediate consequence of the station’s “premeditated and ill-considered actions” led to the “humiliation” of Ms Saldanha and another nurse.

“I appreciate that you cannot undo the damage which has been done but I would urge you to take steps to ensure that such an incident could never be repeated,” it added.

A spokesman for the private London hospital, where the pregnant Duchess had been treated for a severe form of morning sickness, said the letter was sent earlier today.

Ms Saldanha was pronounced dead at staff accommodation close to the hospital.

She answered the presenters’ call and, believing they were members of the Royal Family, put them through to another nurse who described Kate’s condition in detail.

The nurse’s devastated family were being comforted by relatives and friends at their terrace home at Greystoke Avenue, Southmead, Bristol.

A friend at the address said Ms Saldanha’s partner Benedict Barboza, 49, and their teenage son and daughter, aged 14 and 16, were “very, very shocked and unhappy at the tragedy”.

News of her death led to a huge backlash against the two presenters, Greig and Christian, who broadcast the prank on their Hot30 Countdown show on 2day FM.

They have now been taken off the air while the Sydney-based station has been inundated with complaints.

But Southern Cross Austereo chief executive Rhys Holleran stood by the two DJs and said they were shocked and devastated by news of Ms Saldanha’s death.

At a news conference in Melbourne, he said: “This is a tragic event that could not have been reasonably foreseen and we’re deeply saddened by it.

“I spoke to both presenters early this morning and it’s fair to say they’re completely shattered.”

Greig and Christian, who put on fake English accents and pretended to be the Queen and Prince of Wales, made an initial apology but continued to boast about the stunt, describing it as the “easiest prank call ever made”.

A flood of complaints have been made to the Australian Communications and Media Authority, which regulates radio broadcasting. It said it is currently in discussions with the station over the matter.

In a statement last night, Ms Saldanha’s family said they were “deeply saddened” by the death and asked for privacy.

They said: “We as a family are deeply saddened by the loss of our beloved Jacintha. We would ask that the media respect our privacy at this difficult time.”

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have sent their condolences to Ms Saldanha’s family.

In a statement on Friday night, St James’s Palace said: “The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are deeply saddened to learn of the death of Jacintha Saldanha.

“Their Royal Highnesses were looked after so wonderfully well at all times by everybody at King Edward VII’s Hospital, and their thoughts and prayers are with Jacintha Saldanha’s family, friends and colleagues at this very sad time.”

The death is not being treated as suspicious, Scotland Yard said.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, May 29, 2015
[Photo Mel Hughes]

The words “No n******” were spray-painted on the outside wall of jazz bar in Herne Hill around 1am Monday May 25th.

Friday, May 29, 2015
Police say they urgently want to speak to this man [Images from British Transport Police]

A woman from Newham was beaten so badly aboard a busy train at Canning Town that her teeth were broken and her lip was cut.

Friday, May 29, 2015
[Photo BBC]

An assault rifle used in seven unsolved murders in Northern Ireland has been found in an Imperial War Museum display cabinet.

Friday, May 29, 2015
[Photo Met Police]

An Ecuadorian studying at King’s College London sat next to the sleeping victim on the N13, put his hand down her jeans then led her off the bus and raped her in his Hampstead home.

Friday, May 29, 2015
[Photo Assemble and Simon Terrill]

The new sculpture playground is Brutalist - it is based on concrete playgrounds from the 1950s and 60s - but is made from reconstituted foam.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Time to expand with the LeefiBRIDGE.

More iOS memory in a flash: Introducing Leef iBRIDGE.

Read more
The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

Read more
You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Read more