May 24 2013 Latest news:
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
The Duke of Edinburgh is on the road to recovery, according to his son.
Philip, 90, is suffering from a bladder infection and was taken to the King Edward VII Hospital in London from Windsor Castle as a precautionary measure.
The illness forced him to miss half of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
The Earl and Countess of Wessex stayed with the Prince for just under half an hour.
As he left the hospital, Edward told reporters: “He is feeling a lot better, thank you very much indeed.
“So I think a good rest is probably what is required.”
Asked if the Duke had been keeping up with today’s Jubilee celebrations, he said: “He’s been watching it all on television but I couldn’t possibly tell you what channel.
“But thank you very much for your attention. It’s very much appreciated.”
Asked how the Queen was doing without her husband, he said: “She’s bearing up but missing him, obviously.”
Sophie added: “He’s in good spirits, he’s on good form.”