Stephen Lawrence’s mum recounts moment her son’s killers were found guilty

11:42 10 June 2012

Doreen Lawrence Pic: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

Doreen Lawrence Pic: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

Stephen Lawrence’s mother Doreen said she had to “hold” herself from screaming when she heard the jury pronounce two men guilty of her son’s murder.

“During the trial I couldn’t read the jury, I couldn’t tell and so my heart was in my mouth when we went back downstairs and when they said guilty I suppose I had to hold myself in from screaming out because I had the press on one side, because I never thought I’d hear those words, I never thought I’d hear someone found guilty of Stephen’s death,” she told Radio 4’s Desert Island Discs.

Mrs Lawrence, who was made an OBE in 2003 and runs a trust set up in her son’s name, chose a song called You’re Loved which was inspired by some of the last words spoken to her son by a couple who found him dying in the street.

She said: “For me it meant so much that the couple, there is some stuff around that, but the couple are supposed to have said to Stephen ... that went to him after he had collapsed and said to him ‘you’re loved”’.

Mrs Lawrence said she visited the spot where he died three times a year.

She said: “I go on the anniversary of his death, I go on his birthday and I go at Christmas time and I bring flowers for him and I stay as long as I can because I always feel a bit nervous when I’m there and I talk to him, tell him the news.”

Earlier this month, it was announced that a leading barrister will review the Scotland Yard investigation into allegations of corruption at the heart of the case.

David Norris and Gary Dobson were convicted of the racist murder of the teenager in January this year - 19 years after the crime - and sentenced to life at the Old Bailey.

The Metropolitan Police faced fierce criticism of the original investigation and a public inquiry branded the force institutionally racist.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport