Mark Duggan’s mum says wait for inquest is “heartbreaking”

17:11 28 January 2013

Mark Duggan

Mark Duggan

Archant

Mark Duggan’s mother today said it is “heartbreaking” that she will have waited more than two years for the inquest into her son’s death.

Originally the full hearing into the 29-year-old’s death at the hands of armed police was due to open today, but it is now not expected to begin until September.

Speaking after a pre-inquest hearing at North London Coroner’s Court, Pamela Duggan questioned why there had been such a long delay.

Her son was shot by armed police in Tottenham, north London, in August 2011. His death sparked riots across London, which also spread into other cities.

Today Judge Keith Cutler ruled that a full inquest into his death will start in September this year, and that the delay was “regrettable”.

Mrs Duggan said: “I hope it stays in September because I want to know how he died. I don’t know why it was delayed but I don’t think it should have been so long.

“It’s heartbreaking for me, he’s my son. It’s taken me a lot of courage to come here today. He was only 29 and he was killed and he’s got children.

“I’m not very well but I’m strong, Mark’s keeping me this way.”

Her sister Carole said that the family need to know what happened so that they can move on with their lives.

She said: “We need a result. We all need to be able to move on in our lives, not that it’s ever going to be the same again.

“We’ve been given assurances, so we’ll see. Everything’s there for the case to go along.”

She slammed police watchdog the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) as “lax”.

The court heard today that the IPCC’s report on what happened is not yet complete.

She said: “They’re very lax about how they go about things, quite incompetent. We’ve never trusted the IPCC.”

Mr Duggan’s brother Sean Hall said: “We’ve been waiting for a thorough investigation and it seems that all we’ve been given so far is a fob-off. We’re no closer to knowing what has happened to our family member.”

In court, Leslie Thomas, representing Mr Duggan’s girlfriend Precious Douaihy, said “basic” investigations had not yet been carried out.

He told Judge Cutler: “It is absolutely shocking to find ourselves here today and to hear your counsel saying that there are further investigations, basic investigations, to be conducted such as a reconstruction and forensics.”

His feelings were echoed by Michael Mansfield QC, who is representing the Duggan family.

He told the hearing: “They feel very simply that they have been seriously let down from the beginning.”

Another pre-inquest hearing is due to take place on March 28 at the Royal Courts of Justice, followed by the inquest in the autumn.

Addressing the delay, Judge Cutler said: “This is clearly very regrettable.

“Mr Duggan’s family and loved ones had every reason to expect a speedy investigation into his death. They also have every right to have a full and thorough investigation.”

Counsel to the inquest Ashley Underwood QC said: “Mr Duggan’s death was clearly untimely and tragic. It resulted from being shot by the police and so is a matter of some public concern.

“It’s the death which is widely held to have been the catalyst for the riots of 2011 and so it’s a matter of national importance.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, May 29, 2015
The attack happened on Saturday on the canal towpath between Camden High Street and Kentish Town Road. Picture: GoogleStreetview

A homeless man has suffered a fractured skull and loss of hearing after being beaten by a man wielding a log in Camden.

Thursday, May 28, 2015
Two new train strikes are planned for June 4 and June 9  (Photo by Cate Gillon/Getty Images)

Network Rail workers are to stage two strikes next month after a new pay offer was rejected.

Thursday, May 28, 2015
Police hold a man, during the anti-austerity protest in Whitehall, as protesters mark their opposition to measures set out in the Queen's Speech, following the State Opening of Parliament.

Five people were arrested in London last night after thousands of anti-austerity protesters marched against austerity measures by the Conservative government following the State Opening of Parliament.

Thursday, May 28, 2015
One More Time, 2015, by Royal Academician Cornelia Parker for Terrace Wires at St Pancras International station, co-presented by HS1 Ltd. and the Royal Academy of Arts [Tim Whitby, Getty Images]

Millions of commuters at St Pancras might be a bit confused but definitely won’t need a watch thanks to a new sculpture by Cornelia Parker.

Thursday, May 28, 2015
(Photo by Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

A London artist has started a campaign for an anti-Margaret Thatcher museum in an attempt to “reclaim” her legacy from “sycophants” like David Cameron and Tony Blair.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

Read more
You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Read more
Time to experience the dizzy heights of London's tallest attraction!

Morgan Pryce, commercial property experts based in London are offering one lucky reader the chance to win a pair of tickets to The Shard viewing platform in the city itself.

Read more