New Years Honours: Tracey Emin’s CBE is like being “pushed in at the deep end”

09:00 29 December 2012

Tracey Emin. Picture: Ian West/PA Wire

Tracey Emin. Picture: Ian West/PA Wire

PA Archive/Press Association Images

Artist Tracey Emin said being made a CBE felt like being “pushed in at the deep end”.

The 49-year-old east Londoner, who grew up in Margate, Kent, first made an impression on the wider public outside the art world in 1997 with a drunken appearance on a television discussion show about the Turner Prize which ended with her pulling her microphone off and telling the audience “I’ve had a really good night out”.

Two years later, she was shortlisted for the prize and exhibited one of her most famous works, My Bed, at the Tate Gallery.

The unmade bed, littered with condoms, cigarette packets and a pair of knickers divided the critics but began the process of making her one of the country’s most famous living artists.

Her work sells for high prices around the world and one piece - a neon sign reading More Passion - was installed in Downing Street last year.

Asked about her CBE, the 49-year-old said: “I think they pushed me in at the deep end. But I’m absolutely thrilled. It’s been insane trying to keep it a secret but I’m really looking forward to seeing the look on my mum’s face.

“For me this honour is a symbol of how art can change people’s perception of life and view the world in a different way. Art is a great enabler as it has helped me to achieve many things throughout my life and through my daily life to help many other people. I am pleased and happy to have recognition for this. But always in life recognition is not why we do things. We do things because of vocation, because we have to do them.”

At the height of her notoriety, posters she put up near her east London home appealing for the return of her cat were being torn down and reportedly sold for hundreds of pounds.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, March 27, 2015
The view at Frank's Cafe has an uncertain future (Pic: Matt Soper)

A panoramic view of London which has become a major lure for bar hoppers in Peckham may be obscured by a 20-storey tower development, campaigners have warned.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The royal couple met Baroness Lawrence before looking round the centre (Pic: Getty Images)

Prince William and his wife Kate have visited the Stephen Lawrence Centre as one of their last public appearances before the Duchess gives birth to their second child.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Do you know this man? [Photograph from British Transport Police]

Police are hunting a thug who attacked a 17-year-old boy with half a brick on a train journey from Crystal Palace to East Dulwich - then snatched a man’s phone in West Norwood station.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Some of the food Chicken Town will offer (Pic: Kickstarter/Chicken Town)

Chicken loving youngsters living in a deprived borough of North London may soon be able to buy healthy fried chicken, if two restaurateurs get the start-up capital they need.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Kboard

Thought phone buttons were hard work? Now people who can’t be bothered to use a touchscreen either can streamline their conversations with a new app.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...