March 10 2014 Latest news:
by Flora Drury
Friday, May 25, 2012
Two social workers sacked in the wake of the Baby P case are vowing to take their fight against their dismissal the Court of Appeal after they lost their latest battle.
Gillie Christou and Maria Ward - who claim they were unjustly fired by Haringey Council in response to a public outcry about the little boy’s death in 2007 - were told today their latest appeal had been rejected.
Mr Justice Wilkie announced his decision at the Employment Appeal Tribunal in central London, backing an earlier ruling by a Watford employment tribunal panel which previously concluded that the local authority acted reasonably in dismissing them because of serious failings in their care of the toddler.
But the two women, neither of whom appeared at court today, plan to take their appeal one step further.
Their solicitor Riz Majid said: “Maria Ward and Gillie Christou are disappointed by the result.
“We will be studying the judgment carefully with a view to going to the Court of Appeal.”
He has previously argued their case had been bolstered by a landmark Court of Appeal ruling in May last year that Haringey’s children’s services director Sharon Shoesmith was unfairly sacked over the Baby P tragedy.