One Year On: Building to start in next ‘few months’ on Ilford Christian centre following collapse

10:19 31 January 2013

 The collapsed City Gates Christian centre Clements Road, Ilford

The collapsed City Gates Christian centre Clements Road, Ilford

Archant

With work set to restart in the next “few months” on a five-storey Christian centre – which came crashing to the ground in Ilford Town Centre a year ago today – the church’s pastor has spoken about the difficult year that followed the collapse.

City Gates collapse timeline

January 25, 2012

Topping out ceremony held at the new City Gates building.

January 31

4pm: Workers leave site early due to “poor light”.

4.30pm: City Gates Christian centre building collapses, leaving debris strewn across Clements Road. Rescue crews are called and thermal imaging equipment and search dogs are used to scour the site. Fifteen bus routes are diverted as police cordon off the road.

9.30pm: No people found and the site is given the all-clear.

February 1

Health and Safety Executive begins investigation. Reports of an object falling from a crane are dismissed.

February 2

Clements Lane, Chadwick Road, Handforth Way and Winston Way remain closed as Ashe Construction begin to dismantle the steel frame.

February 3

Fire breaks out after workmen attempt to cut away the remaining steel structure.

February 4&5

Steel frame taken to a warehouse in Derbyshire to be examined by investigators.

The Royal Mail Ilford office, which was forced to close, resumes deliveries to Redbridge postcodes.

February 6

Road reopens apart from a small section of Clements Road and Handforth Road.

The £7.5million City Gates Christian Centre in Clements Road has been deemed “an amazing miracle” by the Rev Stephen Derbyshire, after workers left the site early because of “poor light”.

The centre, which should have been completed in November last year, is expected to take just over 12 months to complete once work starts.

Mr Derbyshire said: “I found out today [Monday] that the settlement has been completed and all we need to do is agree to the terms, so work should be able to commence in the spring.

“This year has been a very strange and difficult one, the church has had to rearrange everything, including holding services in Cineworld.

“It hasn’t been easy but we can now see a light at the end of the tunnel.”

The building, which is set to include a 1,000-seat auditorium and conference facilities, was entirely funded by the church after 10 years of hard work.

Insurance payouts will cover the full cost of the rebuild.

Mr Derbyshire said: “The church is just so pleased there were no fatalities and we believe it was an amazing miracle.

“Twenty-three workers clocked off early that day, for the first time ever because of poor light. If they hadn’t there would have been no question that they would have been killed.

“We think God saw something wrong with the building and brought it down gently.”

The Health and Safety Executive has confirmed the investigation is still “ongoing” and could not confirm the cause or how long the process will take.

Mr Derbyshire added: “All I want is for construction to start and for the people who worked hard to fundraise to see the centre come together.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, March 27, 2015
The view at Frank's Cafe has an uncertain future (Pic: Matt Soper)

A panoramic view of London which has become a major lure for bar hoppers in Peckham may be obscured by a 20-storey tower development, campaigners have warned.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The royal couple met Baroness Lawrence before looking round the centre (Pic: Getty Images)

Prince William and his wife Kate have visited the Stephen Lawrence Centre as one of their last public appearances before the Duchess gives birth to their second child.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Do you know this man? [Photograph from British Transport Police]

Police are hunting a thug who attacked a 17-year-old boy with half a brick on a train journey from Crystal Palace to East Dulwich - then snatched a man’s phone in West Norwood station.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Some of the food Chicken Town will offer (Pic: Kickstarter/Chicken Town)

Chicken loving youngsters living in a deprived borough of North London may soon be able to buy healthy fried chicken, if two restaurateurs get the start-up capital they need.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Kboard

Thought phone buttons were hard work? Now people who can’t be bothered to use a touchscreen either can streamline their conversations with a new app.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...