Queen meets 7/7 bombing survivor eight years after first meeting at Royal London Hospital

15:05 27 February 2013

The Queen meets 7/7 survivor Bruce Lait and his family during her tour of the Royal London Hospital. Picture: Ian Gavan - WPA Pool/Getty Images

The Queen meets 7/7 survivor Bruce Lait and his family during her tour of the Royal London Hospital. Picture: Ian Gavan - WPA Pool/Getty Images

One of the survivors of the July 7 terrorist bombings in London met the Queen this morning, eight years after speaking to her in the aftermath of atrocity.

The Queen meeting Bruce Lait the day after the 7/7 bombings. Picture: Fiona HansonThe Queen meeting Bruce Lait the day after the 7/7 bombings. Picture: Fiona Hanson

The Queen met dance teacher Bruce Lait at the Royal London Hospital, where she first met him the day after the 2005 attacks on the London Underground and bus network, which killed 52 people.

Mr Lait, 39, was treated at the hospital after being caught up in the Aldgate tube blast.

The Queen the Duke of Edinburgh were at the east London hospital today to open the National Centre for Bowel Research and Surgical Innovation.

Mr Lait, from Ipswich, and his dance partner Crystal Yelland were invited by Buckingham Palace to meet the royals today.

The Queen is welcomed by staff at the Royal London Hospital. Picture: Ian Gavan - WPA Pool/Getty Images)The Queen is welcomed by staff at the Royal London Hospital. Picture: Ian Gavan - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

He said afterwards: “I said that I looked a bit different to the last time she saw me.

“She said ‘Yes, I remember. You look a lot better now’.”

Mr Lait was left partially deaf and suffered facial burns in the bombing.

He told the inquest into the attack how he held the hand of victim Fiona Stevenson until she died at the scene.

Prince Philip meets with staff and patients as he tours the new Royal London Hospital building. Picture: Gavan - WPA Pool/Getty ImagesPrince Philip meets with staff and patients as he tours the new Royal London Hospital building. Picture: Gavan - WPA Pool/Getty Images

Mr Lait added that when he told the Queen he was now partially deaf, she replied: “So you can still keep in time? You can still dance then?”. He replied that he could.

Mr Lait is now married to Ildiko, 35, a Hungarian former Olympic gymnast with whom he has two children, Izabell, four, and nine-month-old Benjamin.

They met in Blackpool after the bombing as he and Crystal toured with the Simply Ballroom stage show.

The dancers, who competed against Anton Du Beke and other Strictly Come Dancing stars, had been on their way to rehearsals for the show in the West End when the bomb went off.

Mr Lait told how he had been struck by the Queen’s compassion when they first met in 2005.

He said: “She seemed genuinely concerned.

“She asked me personal questions about how I felt and how things were going. I felt that she cared.”

The Queen, dressed in a lilac dress with matching hat, toured the new London Children’s Hospital, based at the Royal London, with Philip.

The hospital, which treats 40,000 patients a year, is located across three adjacent floors of the new buildings.

Young patients were closely involved in its planning, including indoor and outdoor play areas.

They then went to The Renal Centre, meeting kidney dialysis and transplant patients.

They finished their tour by officially opening the National Centre for Bowel Research and Surgical Innovation.

The centre, which opened last year, is a collaboration between the Bowel & Cancer Research charity, St Bartholomew’s Hospital (Barts) the London School of Medicine and Dentistry.

The Queen and Duke met some of the 30 clinicians and scientists involved in groundbreaking research into bowel disorders including cancer, colitis, faecal incontinence and constipation which affect millions of people in the UK.

The centre includes state-of-the-art laboratories dedicated to the study of human tissue from surgical patients.

There is also a video link from the operating theatre to a training room so that surgeons can watch new procedures being carried out.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, May 29, 2015
[Photo BBC]

An assault rifle used in seven unsolved murders in Northern Ireland has been found in an Imperial War Museum display cabinet.

Friday, May 29, 2015
[Photo Met Police]

An Ecuadorian studying at King’s College London sat next to the sleeping victim on the N13, put his hand down her jeans then led her off the bus and raped her in his Hampstead home.

Friday, May 29, 2015
London24 have edited the racist slur out of the photograph [Original photograph by Mel Hughes]

Herne Hill residents were disgusted to see racist graffiti appear on the walls of a local jazz bar this week.

Friday, May 29, 2015
[Photograph by Louise Holly]

All trains via Tulse Hill have been cancelled due to a bridge strike, affecting journeys to London Bridge, West Croydon, Peckham Rye, Herne Hill, Streatham and Crystal Palace.

Friday, May 29, 2015
[Photo Assemble and Simon Terrill]

The new sculpture playground is Brutalist - it is based on concrete playgrounds from the 1950s and 60s - but is made from reconstituted foam.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Time to expand with the LeefiBRIDGE.

More iOS memory in a flash: Introducing Leef iBRIDGE.

Read more
The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

Read more
You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Read more