Queen’s birthday honours: ‘Heroic’ Tottenham riots bus worker made MBE

19:22 19 June 2012

Peter Middleton was hailed for his bravery

Peter Middleton was hailed for his bravery

Archant

A bus worker injured as the Tottenham riots took hold, then set an “outstanding example” by directing buses away from the unrest, has been made an MBE in the Queen’s birthday honours list.

Peter Middleton, 51, an area controller for Arriva based at its depot in Philip Lane, South Tottenham, will be awarded the gong for going above and beyond the call of duty.

Mr Middleton was injured as the riots escalated on August 6 last year, a Transport for London (TfL) spokesman said.

He added: “Despite this, he returned to Arriva’s Tottenham bus garage where he took charge and organised other controllers in moving buses away from the disturbances as they spread, while keeping the bus services running.

“He set an outstanding example and performed a crucial role in a very challenging situation, putting himself at risk to ensure the safety of others.”

Mr Middleton, who has worked for Arriva for 29 years and lives in Leyton, Waltham Forest, said: “It is a real honour to receive this award. I really feel that I am accepting this for all my colleagues who were working that evening.”

TfL commissioner Peter Hendy called the honour “well-deserved”, adding: “I am proud beyond measure of the staff of TfL and our contractors who maintained our services through the worst civil disturbances in living memory.

“They demonstrated courage and professionalism, and through determination and bravery, they managed to keep the city moving and our users safe. TfL and London carried on because of [these] heroic actions.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport