Beach volleyball returns to London

10:29 29 July 2013

Zara Dampney and teammate Lucy Boulton on court. Picture: John Stillwell/PA Wire

Zara Dampney and teammate Lucy Boulton on court. Picture: John Stillwell/PA Wire

PA

Aspiring beach volleyball stars cooked up a (sand)storm in central London over the weekend as the sport returned to the capital exactly one year on from the event’s first contests at London 2012.

Picture: John Stillwell/PA WirePicture: John Stillwell/PA Wire

At a specially-built temporary court in Covent Garden on Saturday, Olympian Zara Dampney and teammate Lucy Boulton joined men’s a women’s teams competing to win a trip to Mexico.

Players dived energetically around the court as spectators sipped drinks in the sun, reviving the spirit of last year’s Games.

“With beach volleyball having been one of the biggest hits of 2012, it’s great to be part of #coronalondon and to get a glimpse of the next generation of players,” said Zara.

“Beach Volleyball is a sport anyone can play.”

Picture: John Stillwell/PA WirePicture: John Stillwell/PA Wire

The #coronalondon event was hosted by beer producer Corona Extra. Ahead of the event, the group’s Andy Cray said: “Last summer was very special for Londoners and we’re hoping to reignite that spirit a year on.”

Last year Horse Guards Parade in Whitehall was transformed into a 15,000 seater beach volleyball arena, where spectactors ultimately saw an American team triumph in the women’s event and Germany take home gold in the men’s.

Organisers pledged the sand would be used following the Games to build 36 new courts within the M25, fuelling London 2012’s sporting legacy.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport