April 19 2014 Latest news:
Friday, June 1, 2012
Amid the swathes of Union flags, mountains of cucumber sarnies and brimming jugs of Pimms, it's fair to say this long weekend's Diamond Jubilee celebrations will be all around you, wherever you are.
That means there is no excuse but to join in the fun and to further whet your monarchical appetite.
Courtesy of our friends at the London Living blog, London24 is pleased to share with you some royal trivia about our great Queen.
So, get stuck into 10 of the quirkiest and most surprising facts about the lady who has ruled Great Britannia for the past 60 years.
1. The Queen is the only person in Britain who can drive without a licence or a registration number on her car. And she doesn't have a passport.
2. The Queen celebrates two birthdays each year. Her actual birthday is April 21 and her official birthday is celebrated on a Saturday in June.
3. She is the only British monarch in history properly trained to change a spark plug.
4. She demoted a footman for feeding her corgis whiskey.
5. The Queen has sat for 129 portraits during her reign.
6. In an average year, The Queen will host more than 50,000 people at banquets, lunches, dinners, receptions and garden parties at Buckingham Palace.
7. What gives the Queen the giggles? Ali G impressions, according to Prince William.
8. The Queen has sent more than 280,000 telegrams to couples in the UK and the Commonwealth celebrating their diamond wedding (or 60-year) anniversary.
9. During her reign, The Queen has undertaken over 256 official overseas visits to 129 different countries.
10. The Queen has nine royal thrones, one at the House of Lords, two at Westminster Abbey and six in the throne room at Buckingham Palace.
This article was courtesy of London Living, the blog for East Village - a brand new neighbourhood in Stratford.