Massive clean-up in Trafalgar Square after army of Scottish fans leave 10,000 beer cans

12:38 15 August 2013

The council said found

The council said found 'one or two weary Scotsmen' still inTrafalgar Square this morning. Picture: Westminster Council

Archant

More than 10,000 beer cans have been cleared from Trafalgar Square during an ‘almighty clean-up’ after kilt-clad Scottish football fans descended on London ahead of last night’s match against England.

Rubbish in the fountains in Trafalgar Square following the match between England and Scotland at Wembley last night. Picture: Sam Stewart/PA WireRubbish in the fountains in Trafalgar Square following the match between England and Scotland at Wembley last night. Picture: Sam Stewart/PA Wire

Westminster City Council said it worked round the clock to clear the square of two-tonnes worth of rubbish, as well as finding ‘one or two weary Scotsmen’ this mornming after their team lost 3-2.

The clean-up operation began at 6.30pm yesterday with a team of 20 workers using 18-tonne rubbush trucks, street-sweepers and cleaning buggies, completing the work at 8.30am.

Westminster Council’s cabinet member for city management, Councillor Ed Argar, said: “This was one almighty clean up. Our crews worked hard around the clock to get London back to normal for our residents and businesses this morning.

“I’m glad to say it is Westminster 1, litter 0.”

A team of 20 took part in the clean-up operation in Trafalgar Square this morning after an army of Scottish football fans invaded London yesterday. Picture: Westminster CouncilA team of 20 took part in the clean-up operation in Trafalgar Square this morning after an army of Scottish football fans invaded London yesterday. Picture: Westminster Council

The two teams met for the first time this century at Wembley Stadium last night, with around 25,000 Scotland supporters travelling to London for the match.

At least 2,500 of them, sporting kilts, big grins and the odd ginger wig, covered walls with the blue and white Saltire flag in the shadow of Nelson’s Column.

Washing-up liquid was added to the water in the fountains as the supporters spent the day partying.

The Metropolitan Police said there were two arrests at the match, one for drunk and disorderly behaviour and the other for public disorder.

Two tonnes of rubbish had to be removed from Trafalgar Square this morning after an army of Scottish football fans invaded London yesterday. Picture: Westminster CouncilTwo tonnes of rubbish had to be removed from Trafalgar Square this morning after an army of Scottish football fans invaded London yesterday. Picture: Westminster Council

A fan was also arrested for drunkenly dancing naked in a fountain in Trafalgar Square yesterday afternoon.

Two people were also taken to hospital with head injuries after paramedics were called to Trafalgar Square, the London Ambulance Service said.

A spokeswoman said they were told there had been a ‘fall from heights’ in the area of Nelson’s Column.

She said a man in his 40s suffering from head injuries and back pain was taken to St Thomas’s Hospital ‘as a priority’.

A team from Westminster Council worked 'round the clock' to clean Trafalgar Square after Scottish football fans descended on London yesterday. Picture: Sam Stewart/PA WireA team from Westminster Council worked 'round the clock' to clean Trafalgar Square after Scottish football fans descended on London yesterday. Picture: Sam Stewart/PA Wire

A second man, who was less seriously injured, was admitted to the same hospital, and four others were treated at the scene for injuries.

The spokeswoman could not confirm if those involved were Scotland supporters.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport