Safety review launched at Hampstead Heath ponds after death of Sussie Ahlburg

12:07 15 August 2013

Safety review launched at Hampstead Heath ponds and lido after Sussie Ahlburgs death. Picture: Isabelle Busnel

Safety review launched at Hampstead Heath ponds and lido after Sussie Ahlburgs death. Picture: Isabelle Busnel

Archant

The safety of all swimming facilities on Hampstead Heath is to be reviewed following the death of photographer Sussie Ahlburg.

Kenwood Ladies' Bathing Pond was closed following the death of Sussie Ahlburg. Picture: Polly HancockKenwood Ladies' Bathing Pond was closed following the death of Sussie Ahlburg. Picture: Polly Hancock

The City of London Corporation, which runs the Heath, confirmed this week that an independent risk assessor has been commissioned to look at all three bathing ponds and the Parliament Hill Lido.

A corporation spokesman said that it was “important for any service provider to review its operation” after such a serious 
incident.

He added that an annual audit had been carried out in June by a swimming safety expert, who found the ponds and lido “well managed and safe”.

Heath staff are also working with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) as the government agency considers whether to launch a probe into the tragic death of Ms Ahlburg, 50.

An HSE spokesman said: “We are making initial inquiries alongside the police and then we will consider launching a formal investigation.”

The Kenwood Ladies’ Bathing Pond reopened on Saturday morning after being closed to the public for five days to aid police inquiries and out of respect, after the mother-of-two’s body was found by police divers last Monday.

Catherine Cinnamon, of the Kenwood Ladies’ Pond Association, described the mood this week at the much-loved swimming spot as thoughtful and reflective.

She said: “The atmosphere is very respectful and mindful of what’s happened. There was a very thoughtful and reflective mood.

“I think that Sussie really enjoyed and loved swimming there and that’s what the place was all about – it’s a very peaceful, reflective space for women.”

She added that the association would seek to speak to Heath bosses and Ms Ahlburg’s family about the possibility of some kind of memorial being created.

The death remains a mystery after a post-mortem proved inconclusive. Police are awaiting the results of further tests, while an inquest was opened and adjourned at St Pancras Coroner’s Court on Monday.

Ms Ahlburg, of Holborn, was a successful photographer whose work had featured in publications including Vogue, The Wall Street Journal and the Ham&High.

She was reported missing by her family after failing to return home on Sunday, August 4.

Her death was the first at the Heath’s ponds in at least a decade.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, April 24, 2015
We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Visitors can also track the route and impact of new transport links like HS2 and Crossrail 1 and 2

A giant interactive 3D model showing London in the past, the present and the future has been unveiled.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Fire in High Street, Edgware

Four fire engines have been called to attend a huge fire on the High Street in Edgware.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police want to talk to this woman about the incident

Police have released an image of a woman they want to speak to after a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf was racially abused on a Piccadilly line train.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Peter Mussett sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl on the DLR

A 32-year-old man carried out an ‘incredibly frightening’ sexual assault on a 12-year-old girl travelling alone on the DLR.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.