Six children escape from house after sun refracting off perfume bottles causes fire
20:21 18 August 2013
Sunlight shining through a window and refracting off perfume bottles on the windowsill is believed to have caused a house fire.
A mother and six children left the terraced house on Hydeside Gardens, in Lower Edmonton before the fire brigade arrived, and no one was injured.
The blaze severely damaged the first floor of the property.
Edmonton fire station Watch Manager Adam Baker said: “The fire was just around the corner from the fire station so we were there in 30 seconds and managed to stop it spreading to the roof.
“Flames were shooting out of the bedroom window and melted the frame and the rest of the top floor was full of smoke when we arrived.
“The family all managed to get out quickly and they did the right thing by getting out and staying out.
“Try to avoid keeping mirrors and glass on windowsills as the magnification can cause the sun’s rays to focus and set fire to things.”
Four fire engines, two from Edmonton fire station and one each from Tottenham and Southgate fire stations went to the scene with 21 firefighters and officers.
The brigade was called at 8.06pm and the fire was under control by 8.47pm.
The fire on August 15 came a week after a mirror caused a house fire in Enfield while residents were on holiday. A smoke alarm in the home alerted a neighbour who rang the fire brigade.