Three boys hurt by falling tree at Spencer cricket club in Earlsfield

10:57 17 June 2012

The tree which landed on the three boys at Earlsfield remained on the ground after the accident. Photo: David Mercer/PA Wire

The tree which landed on the three boys at Earlsfield remained on the ground after the accident. Photo: David Mercer/PA Wire

Two nine-year-old boys suffered serious head injuries, and a third was taken to hospital, when a tree fell on them at a cricket pitch in south-west London.

The boys had been waiting to use practice nets at The Spencer Club in Earlsfield when the tree crashed down.

The boys, one of whom suffered leg injuries, were rushed to hospital.

The incident happened on Saturday afternoon after strong winds buffeted parts of south London.

A statement from The Spencer Club said the boys’ conditions were being assessed and: “Naturally, the club’s thoughts are with those young ones and their families.

“As soon as we have had word from the hospital and the parents we shall be issuing another statement. In the meantime, all cricket at the ground has been suspended.”

The uprooted tree remained lying across the cricket pitch last night.

Monique Wilkinson, 33, was holding a birthday party for her three-year-old daughter at her home when she heard the tree fall.

She said: “We could see the kids stuck under the tree and there were a lot of people around. It’s terrible. These kids play on the field every weekend.

“The air ambulance landed in the field across the road from us and there were four or five ambulances in total. The emergency services seemed to have everything under control.

“Another tree came down on this road earlier in the day which shows how bad the winds were.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport