No complaint over Prince Harry nude pictures

13:01 28 September 2012

Prince Harry

Prince Harry's aides will not be making a formal complaint. File picture: Chris Jackson/PA Wire

St James’s Palace has confirmed it will not be making a formal press complaint about The Sun’s publication of nude photos of Prince Harry.

It has been decided that it would be a distraction to pursue the matter further while he is currently on deployment in Afghanistan as an Apache helicopter co-pilot gunner.

The Sun was the only British newspaper to defy a Press Complaints Commission (PCC) advisory not to publish the photos of Harry playing strip billiards with a mystery woman in Las Vegas.

The PCC had warned that publication could breach the editor’s code of practice on privacy grounds. The Sun’s publication attracted almost 4,000 complaints from the public.

A St James’s Palace spokesman said: “Having considered the matter now for a number of weeks, we have decided not to pursue a complaint with the PCC on behalf of Prince Harry in respect of the photos of the Prince taken in Las Vegas. We informed the PCC yesterday.

“We remain of the opinion that a hotel room is a private space where its occupants would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

“Prince Harry is currently focused entirely on his deployment in Afghanistan, so to pursue a complaint relating to his private life would not be appropriate at this time and would prove to be a distraction.

“We have concluded that it would not be prudent to pursue the matter further, and we will have no further comment to make about the matter.”

The naked Harry images made world headlines after they emerged on gossip website TMZ last month.

He had been photographed while on a short break in Las Vegas just a few weeks before he was sent back to Afghanistan.

In a statement, the PCC reiterated its position: “On September 6 the Commission issued a statement confirming that, at that time, it did not consider that it would be appropriate to open an investigation into this matter in the absence of a formal complaint to the Commission from Prince Harry.

“It will consider the matter further at its next regular meeting.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
2 3 4 5 6

Latest London news

Monday, November 30, 2015
A doctor wears a badge next to her stethoscope in support of the Junior Doctor's contract (Picture: PA Images)

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt told Parliament this afternoon that a ‘potential agreement’ has been reached between the British Medical Association (BMA) and the government that could lead to strike action being suspended.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...


Nike Trainers

Nike’s motto is ‘to bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete in the world.’ With this in mind it’s no surprise why Nike is the preferred training gear for most A-list athletes. Get an extra boost in your run or height in your jump with £500 to spend on Nike trainers.

Read more
MAC Makeup

MAC are renowned for their flawless, fabulous make up that is used worldwide by the stars. You too can have the chance to have the perfect makeup to suit your needs with £1,000 to spend on all the glam goodies you like!

Read more

Latest Tech News