Streatham bus stop death: Appeal to trace keeper of car involved in collision

16:44 24 December 2012

Veronica Vanessa Chango-Alvarez, 31, died in Steatham High Road. Picture: Met Police

Veronica Vanessa Chango-Alvarez, 31, died in Steatham High Road. Picture: Met Police

Archant

The family of a woman who died when she was hit by a car as she waited at a bus stop has said it “has had its heart torn out”.

Veronica Vanessa Chango-Alvarez, 31, was in Streatham High Road when the accident happened early on Saturday.

Officers want to trace the registered owner of the Audi A3 involved in the collision, 27-year-old Nathan Davis, as part of their investigation.

Just minutes before the car hit Ms Chango-Alvarez it was involved in another collision.

Police understand that at around 5.20am a Volkswagen Passat was in collision with a tree in London Road at the junction with Ederline Avenue, Croydon.

It is believed that an Audi A3 stopped at the scene of the incident and the driver got out of the car.

Plain clothes officers, who had been on duty nearby, identified themselves as police officers, after which the driver of the Audi made off from the scene in his car.

Officers stayed with the injured 29-year-old driver of the Volkswagen, and he was taken to hospital where he is now in a stable condition.

Roughly 10 minutes after the first collision, at around 5.30am, the Audi A3 which was driven off was involved in a collision with two people on Streatham High Road. Police officers, London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade attended.

Ms Chango-Alvarez, who has yet to be formally identified, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The 31-year-old was staying at her mother’s home in Streatham High Road.

A post mortem examination yesterday at Greenwich Mortuary gave cause of death as multiple injuries.

Her brother Kevin Raul Chango-Alvarez: “On Saturday 22 December, our family lost my sister Veronica. Veronica died when she was hit by a car outside of our family home. My family has had its heart torn out, at this Christmas time, we will never be the same again.

“On Friday night we were together as a family with Veronica meeting her newly born nephew and preparing for Christmas. I last saw her alive as she left to go to work on Saturday morning, but moments later I was holding her hand as she passed away in the street. We as a family are devastated at our loss.

“The driver did not stay around to help my sister. My family and I appeal to anyone who knows him or who has any information as to his whereabouts to come forward and contact police.”

A 51-year-old man, also believed to have been at the bus stop, was taken by ambulance to a south London hospital, where his condition remains critical.

The driver of the car left before officers arrived and the damaged Audi was abandoned at the scene.

Officers from the Road Death Investigation Unit (RDIU) at Hampton are investigating, together with colleagues from Croydon and Lambeth.

Detective Inspector Gordon Wallace, said: “This was a horrific collision where a young woman was killed outside the family home as she waited for a bus on her way to work.

“The family are devastated, the memory of this senseless death will be with them each time they leave their home.

“The driver fled the scene abandoning the grey Audi, which was extensively damaged. We are looking to speak to a Mr Nathan Davis in relation to this collision.

“I would urge Nathan Davis to come forward to speak to police, or anyone who has information regarding his whereabouts to contact police or alternatively Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

For an immediate sighting call police on 999.

Anyone with information regarding the collision should contact the Road Death Investigation Unit on 020 8285 1574.

Officers from the Directorate of Professional Standards have been informed.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport