Tower Hamlets Council denies reports snipers could be put on school roofs during Olympic Games

13:12 09 May 2012

Reports that snipers could be placed on school roofs in Tower Hamlets to protect the US team during the Olympic Games have been denied by the council.

It comes after the Sunday Express quoted head of schools at Tower Hamlets council, Isobel Cattermole, as saying she had been approached but that she refused to say whether it was by British or US intelligence services.

Team US’s track and field athletes training at Mile End stadium, during this summer’s Games, has led to speculation that there presence is more of a headache than the Olympic Park for security chief trying to prevent a terrorist attack.

A council spokeswoman said: “The Ministry of Defence has confirmed there are no plans to use schools in Tower Hamlets for any purpose during Games time.

“We are working with the United States Olympic Committee on security issues relating to Mile End Stadium, understandably they are sensitive and therefore we are not able to comment in detail, but we do not anticipate these will impact on the local community.

“Where possible we will ensure that external agencies engage with residents, and we will represent any concerns of our communities where we can.”

It has not been possible to get a comment from Ms Cattemole.

A MoD spokesman said they had already announced plans for using helicopters to carry snipers during the Games. “Any decision to use snipers on land, if it is happening, would be coordinated by police and American security services,” he said.

A spokesman for Scotland Yard said: “For obvious reasons we are not prepared to discuss the potential deployment or locations of officers at rifle observation points.

“The planning assumption is that the only police officers carrying or deployed with firearms will be members of the British Police Service.”

Director of strategic of communication for the US team, Mark Jones, insisted: “We’re relying on local law enforcement agencies and the Olympic Committee for security.”

The US Embassy is London refused to comment.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Monday, April 27, 2015
There are severe delays on the Victoria Line

A woman died in the early hours of this morning after she was struck by a Victoria Line train.

Monday, April 27, 2015
The Reclaim Brixton protest march on Saturday. Pic: Reclaim Brixton

On Saturday hundreds of protesters marched in Brixton to campaign against gentrification “pushing locals out of the area”.

Monday, April 27, 2015
Borex Tasta

In February, London24 ran an appeal to help find Borex Tatsa, a vulnerable teenager from Hackney who had gone missing.

Monday, April 27, 2015
The lorry has flipped over onto its side [Photograph from @TfLTrafficNews]

The inbound A12 is shut at the Redbridge roundabout after a artic lorry overturned.

Monday, April 27, 2015
A person has died after being hit by a train at Surbiton station. Pic: @fifteenforward

Train services between Wimbledon and Surbiton are facing delays after a person died from being hit by a train at Surbiton station.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.