Kings Cross Tube fire anniversary sparks union safety fears

14:25 18 November 2012

Bob Crow claims management has been "pig-headed". File picture: Anthony Devlin/PA Wire

Bob Crow claims management has been "pig-headed". File picture: Anthony Devlin/PA Wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Union leaders marking the 25th anniversary of the devastating King’s Cross Tube station fire today demanded the scrapping of proposed staffing cuts.

Thirty one people died in the fire. File picture: PAThirty one people died in the fire. File picture: PA

Thirty-one people died when a fire on an escalator ripped through part of the station on the evening of November 18, 1987.

The fire was thought to have been caused by a dropped match and a subsequent public inquiry led to tighter safety standards on London Underground.

But the Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers Union (RMT) claims that London Mayor Boris Johnson’s “threat” to cut station and platform staffing levels and introduce driverless trains would make the Underground unsafe again.

RMT general secretary Bob Crow said: “We are here today first of all to show our sympathy and our condolences to the people who lost their lives 25 years ago.

Wooden escalators were replaced on the Tube: PA/PA WireWooden escalators were replaced on the Tube: PA/PA Wire

“I worked for London Underground 25 years, I remember that night still vividly.

“It could have been me travelling home, my family, my friends, it could have been you, it could have been anyone that particular night.”

Mr Crow said the recommendations made after the fire had made the Underground safer, as witnessed during terrorist attacks and emergencies on the Tube over the last quarter of a century.

“What we are seeing now is a number of people who want to reduce costs if they can,” he said.

“We can’t allow for the accountants of Transport for London or the Government to try and reduce the staffing and make it unsafe for London Underground workers and the people that use the Tube.”

More than 100 people were taken to hospital after the King’s Cross fire.

One of those killed was fireman Colin Townsley. He was posthumously awarded a certificate of commendation for his bravery, as were five other firemen who survived.

Smoking was immediately banned on all parts of the Tube after the fire and wooden escalators were replaced.

For many years, the identity of one of the 31 victims of the disaster remained a mystery.

But, finally, in January 2004, the 31st victim was named as 72-year-old homeless Scotsman Alexander Fallon.

Latest London transportation news

Wednesday, September 2, 2015
Planned Tube strikes have been called off as talks continue (Photo by Daniel Berehulak/Getty Images)

The Tube strikes planned for September 8 and September 10 have been called off by the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT).

Wednesday, September 2, 2015
Waterloo passengers face severe delays this morning (Picture: Getty)

Waterloo commuters will have to deal with ‘major delays’ until 4pm today after a signalling problem between Wimbledon and Earlsfield.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015
(Picture: London24/ Getty)

There’s just one month left to vote for your favourite London transport ‘Design Icons’. The ubiquitous black cab, original Tube map and iconic Roundel are currently leading the race among the 100-strong shortlist which also includes Covent Garden station’s exterior, Cycle Hire bikes, and Wapping Tunnel.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015
Flowers and tributes left at Bank junction where a cyclist suffered a  fatal collision with a HGV earlier this year (Photo: Rob Stothard/Getty Images)

Mayor of London Boris Johnson has today announced a whole raft of new safety measures designed to protect cyclists and pedestrians from heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) and said the Safer Lorry Scheme could go even further, and stop them from taking dangerous left turns.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015
Trains to and from Waterloo could be delayed by up to half an hour (Picture: Carl Court/Getty)

South West trains may be delayed, cancelled or disrupted after a person was hit by a train between Twickenham and Feltham this morning.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015
All lines from London Bridge via Greenwich are blocked (Photo by Scott Barbour/Getty Images)

Southeastern trains to and from London Bridge via Greenwich are at a standstill due to signalling problems this morning.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Get ready to take in the beautiful sights of London from above!

Are you always seeking unique ways to see your favourite city? This one is for you.

Read more
Shop till you drop!

Home to top name brands at great prices, TK Maxx is more like a treasure hunt than a shop. Perfect for grabbing a bargain or some hidden gems, you arm yourself with a trolley and go wild.

Read more
Scones, jam and a cup of Earl Grey anyone?

Luxury boutique hotel Flemings Mayfair has recently launched The Drawing Room, London’s most stylish location for afternoon tea.

Read more