March 9 2014 Latest news:
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
A man has died after being struck by a lorry on the M25, according to police in Surrey.
Two-hour tailbacks were caused by the accident which happened shortly before 4.30am this morning.
The man was reportedly hit as he walked along the hard shoulder after getting out of his car.
Surrey Police are appealing for witnesses. A spokesperson said: “Initial reports suggest that a blue Ford Focus had stopped in one of the live lanes with the lights off and that one of the occupants had left the vehicle and was walking along the hard shoulder.
“The collision has then occurred, with a white Renault lorry colliding with the stationary Ford Focus and further colliding with the pedestrian.
“South East Coast Ambulance Service attended and treated the pedestrian, believed to be a man in his 50s; however, he was pronounced dead shortly after 5am. The other occupant of the Ford Focus, who was still in the vehicle at the time of the collision, has been treated for minor injuries.”
The motorway closed clockwise at junction 6, near Godstone, Surrey, earlier this morning. The stretch reopened at around 11am, Transport for London said.
Anyone with information is asked to call Surrey Police’s collision investigation unit on 01483 639922.