Tube weekend closures to resume as upgrade work begins

08:25 11 September 2012

The Circle line and District line are part suspended.

The Circle line and District line are part suspended.

TfL

Tube upgrade work is to resume from this weekend, following a break during the London 2012 Games.

Closures will be in place across a variety of lines over the coming weekends, although Transport for London (TfL) has said there will be no closures during December.

The work aims to deliver faster and more frequent journeys for passengers, according to TfL, and provide 30 per cent more service across the network.

The programme will include maintenance work on key lines to ensure track, points and tunnel structures remain in the best possible repair.

Brand new signalling will replace the old systems on the Northern, Metropolitan, District and Circle lines.

TfL said at least 80 per cent of stations will remain served and all areas of the capital remain accessible and open for business at all times while work in ongoing.

Key events such as Remembrance Sunday and the weekend of the Lord Mayor’s Show will be protected from closures.

Mike Brown, managing director of London Underground, said: “In recent years, huge improvements have been made on the Tube – with upgraded trains, stations, signals and track. During the London 2012 Games the network successfully kept London moving and carried more people than at any other time in its 149 year history.

“But to continue to deliver for London, we need to keep going with the programme of improvements that will provide the extra capacity to support the city’s growing population and ensure that equipment is maintained and replaced before it wears out and causes failures and disruption.

“I know that all closures are frustrating, and we are making every effort to keep disruption to a minimum and to provide information and alternative travel options.

“We have reduced the effect of the closures by 10 per cent compared with last year and at least 80 per cent of stations remain served at weekends, and key periods, including the run-up to Christmas, will see no line closures at all. We will also be using every possible way of communicating with our customers to keep them fully informed of the best way to get around.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London transportation news

Friday, May 1, 2015
There are severe delays on the Victoria Line

A broken-down train has caused disruption on the Victoria Line, with severe delays affecting Brixton, Stockwell, Vauxhall, Pimlico and Victoria.

Thursday, April 30, 2015
London Bridge will be absolutely no fun tonight (Picture: Meg Pickard)

Passengers have been warned that London Bridge and Victoria will be extremely busy during this evening’s rush hour as a knock on effect from the problems at Clapham Junction - and to avoid both stations altogether if possible.

Thursday, April 30, 2015
One bystander captured a shot of the flood [Photo by @JATaylor_90/Twitter

A burst water pipe has flooded roads in a busy part of Shepherd’s Bush.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Northern Line is closed between High Barnet and Finchley Central because of a broken down train.

Thursday, April 30, 2015
[MPSLatchmere]

Travellers on the stricken 7.02 train from East Grinstead were stuck on board for hours this morning when a power failure between Wandsworth Common and Clapham Junction left them stranded.

Thursday, April 30, 2015
Commuters on the Overground faced a struggle this morning due to a lineside fire [Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images]

A fire beside the tracks has caused delays on Overground trains running from Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction, rail chiefs have warned.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Pop on the most stylish eyewear around from Specsavers.

London eyecare specialists Specsavers are offering London24 readers the chance to win a £150 voucher to spend on stylish eyewear in the city.

Read more
A swastika daubed on a poster promoting Simon Marcus.

Conservatives in Hampstead and Kilburn are calling in the police over anti-Semitic graffiti found daubed on posters promoting parliamentary candidate Simon Marcus in Queen’s Park.