Vandalism of Banksy mural in Camden may have boosted its value

09:00 22 September 2011

The banksy mural in Jeffrey

The banksy mural in Jeffrey's Street was daubed with black paint last week. Picture: Polly Hancock

Archant

An urban art dealer has said vandalism to a famous Banksy mural in Camden may have quadrupled its value.

The image of a child blowing bubbles on the corner of Jeffrey’s Street and Camden Road was drilled into and stained with black paint last week.

It is the latest in a series of rival “taggings” and attacks on the artwork.

A graffiti turf war between rivals Banksy and Team Robbo has raged in Camden for more than a year.

But John Brandler, an urban art expert, said the work could be worth as much as £300,000 or £400,000 because of the history of taggings – as opposed to £100,000 without.

He said: “It’s an incredibly important piece. With the mural accumulating rival taggings, it carries marks of at least two artists, so becomes more valuable, especially since Robbo can’t paint anymore.”

Graffiti artist King Robbo has been in an induced coma since he sustained a head injury in April this year.

But some residents are fed up with the tagging war that the artwork attracts, despite being protected by a plastic screen and CCTV cameras.

A spokesman for Jeffrey’s Street Residents Association said: “I don’t see why I or anyone else has to look at it or why it should be protected.”

Bhupen Raja, owner of the house where the Banksy mural is painted, screened off the artwork hours after it appeared in June and has spoken of selling it.

But Pest Control, the official channel for selling Banksy art, has yet to approve it for sale.

Others want the artwork to stay. Mark Watts, a tenant of the house, said: “We have people here every day taking photos of it. It’s something unique about this street.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport