Woman threatened with court action over £0 parking fine

17:32 28 January 2014

Bexley Council in south-east London issued this parking ticket for £0 and threatened the recipient with court after she didn

Bexley Council in south-east London issued this parking ticket for £0 and threatened the recipient with court after she didn't pay it.

Archant

A south London commuter has received letter from her local council threatening legal action if she refuses to pay a parking fine – for £0.

Josh Woodley, 40, paid by text to leave her car in New Road, Abbey Wood, on November 27 and got the train to work as normal.

But when she returned in the evening she found the cheapest parking ticket in history on her windscreen.

Josh, of Milford Close, said she ignored the bizarre fine knowing it was a mistake.

“I was considering writing the council a cheque for £0.00 but I didn’t want to waste the money on a stamp,” she said.

Josh heard no more about it until January 15, when she got a reminder notice from Bexley Council demanding the money be paid within 28 days.

It read: “Steps may be taken to enforce payment including […] a County Court order and the use of bailiffs.”

A council spokesman said both notices were issued by mistake and the “fine” has been cancelled.

She added: “We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused to the motorist.”

It is standard practice to issue £0 tickets as a warning to drivers who would otherwise be fined when new parking schemes are brought in.

They are marked as warning notices and no enforcement letters are sent out.

But in Josh’s case, she had already paid and the ticket was not marked as a warning.

Enforcement contractors NSL will be fined for the error.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport